Megadeth - Dystopia

'Super Collider' I always liked even though it was completely trashed on release by seemingly everyone. It will always be special as my daughter was born just 2 months later on same day as Mustaine; and I met Megadeth for the first time on the day of the album release at a record signing in Glasgow! It was an amazing, thrilling day.

Collider has 3 tracks that are seriously under par, but it also has some genuine gems; 'Blackest Crow', 'Dance in the Rain', 'Kingmaker', 'Forget to Remember'.

Yeah - I reckon it got really unfairly trashed by the metal community. The tracks you list are great - I'd also add Beginning of Sorrow to your list also.

I think the music on Dystopia is incredible. I stopped listening to the lyrics many years ago, really could care less about the meanings or Mustaines political views. Very good album and worth it if you are a metal head at all.

Reactions: IrelandCalling
Bought the album today. A few very similar nods to Hangar 18 on the title track and others remind me of Black Friday and 502 (I think it is) of SFSGSW.

A few listens more now and I'm really digging it.

Reactions: IrelandCalling
After reading all the positive comments I need to go back and give it another listen, played it a couple of times on Spotify to see whether it was worth parting with cash for. Nothing stood out and grabbed me, didn't find anything memorable there at all. Maybe I will find it a grower, we'll see.

That's exactly how I feel about it.

Yeah - I reckon it got really unfairly trashed by the metal community. The tracks you list are great - I'd also add Beginning of Sorrow to your list also.

Agreed, it did get unfairly trashed; I honestly thought it was a good album. Granted, 3 songs were seriously below their standard (Burn Baby Burn, Over the Edge, Built for War), but the album contained a lot of great music. 'The Blackest Crow' may not be what a lot of fans want from Megadeth, but as a song, musically and especially lyrically, it's a very well written composition. Great lyric on that one.

It also added a much needed variety; 'System', 'United Abominations' and 'Endgame' were excellent, top tier 'Deth really. '13' was super catchy; it was Thrashy, it was metal, it was even hard rock, but it was excellently written and '13' was even reviewed very positively in mainstream newspapers; "ridiculously catchy" as the Guardian wrote. 'Collider' then was even more towards the commercial end, but it did feature hints of Thrash, alongside more traditional metal and some crunching hard rock. The title track is very like AC/DC, and I actually like it. Melodically it's a winner.

'Beginning of Sorrow' is up there with the top of the album I agree. 'A House Divided' I'd place there also.

Collider is full of stuff many fans hated, as it was so commercial in parts, but as songs, the majority are well written and you can see Dave's flair for hooks and melody really coming through. A better version of 'Risk' really, though Risk is severely underrated also.

PS Dystopia just get's better and better for me with each week; honestly it's on same level as 'For All Kings'.

What did you guys think of Maiden's 'Book of Souls' in comparison?

PS Dystopia just get's better and better for me with each week; honestly it's on same level as 'For All Kings'.

What did you guys think of Maiden's 'Book of Souls' in comparison?

I haven't listened to BOS for months. While a good Maiden record, it just doesn't have the immediacy, great production, or pick me up value of FAK or Dystopia. I like it, but it doesn't excite me.

Dystopia is superb. I can't stop listening to it now. It's pushed FAK down to 2nd spot on my playlist currently. Will return to form for Megadeth even if it does borrows heavily from some of their previous albums.

Yeah I've been listening to Dystopia nonstop here too. It's probably taken over Endgame for me as their best record since CTE. Really great stuff.

Adler and Kiko have really brought out the best from the two Daves since Marty & Menza.

Kiko's solo on Conquer or Die is really a thing of beauty!

That is seriously right up there with anything Friedman did on Holy Wars & Tornado of Souls.

Reactions: Bass Fellow
I've listened to this record a bunch of times now and I have to say it's bloody good. I was really keen to hear what Chris Adler brought to the table and he's not only a great drummer but he also seems to have influenced Mustaine to find some of that snarl that was sorely missing on the last 2 records. I reckon this is definitely the best record since Endgame, which I really rate highly.
What's other people's opinions on this one if you've heard it??

Maybe it's just because of how much "meh" Megadeth had released after Cryptic Writings, but Endgame had a much larger "WOW!" factor for me compared to Dystopia. I think overall it's a good album, but the lyrics are fucking horrible and it's not sticking in my head like Endgame did, despite flashes of Rust in Peace. I've never been a huge Anthrax fan either (I've always felt that they have written plenty of great songs, but up until Persistence of Time, not any great albums). Sound of White Noise is still my favorite Anthrax album for many reasons; and no, I didn't start listening to the band at that album either. For All Kings is easily my second favorite now, and it's so much more memorable than Dystopia by a fairly large margin. Too bad it won't sell as much.

Much as I love both bands, I think Dystopia definitely has the edge on FAK. To echo many posters above and my own thoughts above, Dystopia is incredible. Musically it is simply stunning, a thing of visceral beauty. FAK is excellent, but Dystopia is exceptional.

Seeing megadeath live really turned me off them,gonna take me a while before I listen to the new one, anthrax is filling the void more than enough