MEGADETH FEATURED IN NEW ISSUE OF 'GUITAR EDGE' MAGAZINE

Darin J Moore

May 7, 2006
Dayton, Ohio
www.myspace.com
A guitar tabulature for Megadeth's "Head Crusher" is featured in the January 2010 issue of Guitar Edge magazine-pick it up! Until then, check it out at:
http://digital.guitaredge.com/guitaredge/201001_1#pg46

Also featured in the new issue is an excerpt from "This Day We Fight!" in the magazine's "Best Riffs of 2009" section and available online at:
http://www.guitaredge.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=294%3Abest-riffs-of-2009&catid=45%3Ainterviews&Itemid=66&limitstart=7

I for one keep hoping for an official 'Endgame' tab book as Megadeth seems to always have an official book following the release of an album. Wonder how much the artists themselves contribute to the transcriptions? Would love to see "Dialectic Chaos", "1320" ( the multi finger-tapped lick in the solo ), 44 minutes - actually all of them!!

Seems like a cool mag!

I looked at Head crusher and while the transcription is close it's only close enough to be dangerous ( some of the fingerings and slurring are wrong). This is the case with most transcriptions however, I remember working on Awake and bought the officially transcribed and edited by John Petrucci book, and it wasn't correct.

Take care, Chris.

Thanks for the insight Chris! I often wonder about some of these myself as many times seems as though they just do not quite match. Sometimes some of the things I see for you ( even though many times nicely done ) seems to be a bit off ( like your phrasing, notes not tapped, maybe should be string-skipped, etc. ). Maybe down the road when things slow down a little, ya can pass on some more vids/tabs/columns...

Thanks for the insight Chris! I often wonder about some of these myself as many times seems as though they just do not quite match. Sometimes some of the things I see for you ( even though many times nicely done ) seems to be a bit off ( like your phrasing, notes not tapped, maybe should be string-skipped, etc. ). Maybe down the road when things slow down a little, ya can pass on some more vids/tabs/columns...

I think that will happen but it will depend on time. for now the best thing I would do is to assume that the pitches are correct (not positive though) and watch some of the life videos online for the correct fingering.

Take care, Chris.

When i was a younger guitar player i used to buy a lot of transcriptions nad work hard as i can on it to do exactly what was on the tab.

Then i start understandig a pair of things:

1) if there is a mistake on the record, you get it on the tab and you try to play the mistake every time :p

2) fingering usually is not the original but is the one that is comfortable to the transcriber (usually a guy with 8 finger per hand and hands like oversized gorilla :p) so i better search for a fingering thats comfortable for me

3) it is not about numbers or math, it is about music, so you have to understand the intention and try to figure it out. Sometimes it is just not the 40 notes speed run but its rythm and what you do when slow down or stop (vibrato, mute, bend, picking and sometimes playing that note on the correct string)

Now i still look a lot at transcriptions but they are "guides" rather than "scores" and i use it to help me find my way.

I guess chris do a lot of work by hear, he always nail the intention when play someone else solos. I heard him playing many pre-chris megadeth solo and i have to say he's the most satifyng megadeth soloist in that role. Just figure that some player from the past leaves me unsatified on his own solos!