MEGADETH's DAVE MUSTAINE: 'MOTÖRHEAD Influenced So Many People'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine was interviewed by Red Carpet News TV at the Metal Hammer Golden Gods, which took place June 13 at the Eventim Apollo in Hammersmith, London, England. You can now watch the chat below. Asked what made late MOTÖRHEAD leader Lemmy such a great performer and such a great man, Mustaine said: "Well, that he had been so influential on so many of the 'Big Four' members [METALLICA, MEGADETH, SLAYER and ANTHRAX], so many other bands that were influenced by the 'Big Four' because of MOTÖRHEAD, and just the ripple effect and the trickle-down effect, however you wanna say it… MOTÖRHEAD influenced so many people. And the thing, I think, most people forget is that MOTÖRHEAD was like a really loud, heavy blues band. Their music was very soulful and very heavy, but it wasn't like super… like the Swedish riff-lord bands and stuff like that. So I think Phil [Campbell, MOTÖRHEAD guitarist] was totally overdue getting the 'Riff Lord' award tonight, and I was really, really honored to be able to give it to him." As previously reported, MEGADETH will team up with AMON AMARTH, METAL CHURCH and HAVOK for a U.S. tour in the fall. The trek, which is expected to include an as-yet-undisclosed fifth band, will last for five weeks. MEGADETH's last full U.S. tour took place earlier in the year and featured support from SUICIDAL TENDENCIES, CHILDREN OF BODOM and HAVOK. MEGADETH is continuing to tour in support of its fifteenth album, "Dystopia", which shifted 49,000 equivalent album units in the U.S. in the week ending January 28. In terms of pure album sales, it opened with 48,000 copies, marking MEGADETH's highest-charting album since 1992's "Countdown To Extinction" debuted and peaked at No. 2 on the chart dated August 1 of that year. "Dystopia" also logged the group's best sales week since 2007, when "United Abominations" landed at No. 8 with first-week sales of 54,000.

Continue reading...