melodic/power metal track, advice appreciated

padr81

Feb 27, 2010
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4996715/AwayFromYou.mp3

Feel free to tear it to pieces all comments appreciated but i'd prefer ones where you guys go in depth.

Drums are Steven Slate.
Bass is a Yamaha run into gearbox, nothing added except the free tapesim effect from cakewalk.
Guitars are an Ibanez Jem fitted with RolandGK3 pickup running through a Roland VG99. Hp at 100 and LP at 12000 is only eq, Tape Sim again, and I used the freemultiband compressor to try and compress the low mids.
Vox - Gvst compressor, cakewalk compressor, a differnt cakewalk compressor, cakewalk reverb

Sounds like there's a blanket over everything, especially the drums. The snare seems to have some problem cutting through. You're missing some high end! Doesn't seem to affect the vox too much though, they're great.

lower the volume of the synth, generally with things like pads/synths you want to notice it is when it ISN'T there, so when you mute it it's gone but when its not muted its just adding to the song

I like the song. The mix is not bad but there are things really annoying. The guitar tone is bad. It´s too fizzy and the guitar player doesnt know how to palm mute the fucking strings:yuk: The drum needs more punch, it´s too quiet. Choose a better kick sample.

thanks for listening mate. im the guitar player lol, I should probably re-record the guitar tracks. I just don't like palm muting, dunno why (i'm also pretty shit). I like the guitar to sound open if that makes sense, probably doesn't work so well in a mix though, guess i'll retrack with palm muting.

I'll change the kick sample. What would you recommend I do to give the drums more punch except just turn them up? Im pretty new to this mixing craic, so any advice would be great, i love your melodic metal tracks.

thanks for listening mate. im the guitar player lol, I should probably re-record the guitar tracks. I just don't like palm muting, dunno why (i'm also pretty shit). I like the guitar to sound open if that makes sense, probably doesn't work so well in a mix though, guess i'll retrack with palm muting.

I'll change the kick sample. What would you recommend I do to give the drums more punch except just turn them up? Im pretty new to this mixing craic, so any advice would be great, i love your melodic metal tracks.

For this style of music you have to use palm mute dude. Palm mute it´s the basis of metal music. There are sections in your music that if you use palm mute it will sound much better.

Try a better kick, a fatter kick, with more presence and punch. The same with the snare, try a snare with more meat and work the MIDI velocities because the drum sounds like a machine. Try also a different guitar chain.