Members Of RUSH, QUEEN, THE BEATLES, THE ROLLING STONES, WHITESNAKE, Others Pay Tribute To...

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Members of RUSH, QUEEN, THE BEATLES, THE ROLLING STONES, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, WHITESNAKE and THE KINKS are among the musicians who reacted on social media to the passing of Ginger Baker. The legendary CREAM drummer died yesterday (October 6) at the age of 80. Baker's family posted a message to fans on Twitter, stating he "passed away peacefully" at a hospital in the United Kingdom. "He was in no pain and had recently been able to see and speak to his children, close family and special friends," his daughter Nettie Baker told CNN in a statement. Baker had been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, in addition to chronic back pain from degenerative osteoarthritis. In 2016 Baker was forced to scrap a string of live dates after undergoing open-heart surgery. Back in 2013, Baker told Rolling Stone that his health was "not good. It's troubling. At the end of the gig I'm absolutely exhausted. I've got degenerative osteoarthritis, which is extremely painful and I'm on a regiment with a health service pain management control. Apart from that I've got COPD from smoking." During his musical beginnings on the London jazz scene of the late 1950s, Peter "Ginger" Baker forged a name for himself for his unconventional drum setup and flamboyant style. In 1966, after seeing Eric Clapton play in London, he formed the power trio CREAM with Clapton and bassist Jack Bruce. Over the next two years, CREAM sold 15 million albums, scoring such hits as "White Room", "Strange Brew" and "Sunshine Of Your Love". Baker, who gained a reputation as the most uncontrollable musician on the scene, was the subject of a 2013 documentary, "Beware Of Mr. Baker", which painted the title character as a chain-smoking, profanity-spewing, mean-spirited, entitled, grouchy, vile and self-destructive man with otherworldly talent and tragic flaws.

Ginger Baker, great drummer, wild and lovely guy. We worked together on the 'Band on the Run' album in his ARC Studio, Lagos, Nigeria. Sad to hear that he died but the memories never will. X Paul pic.twitter.com/Rne4tn6A2i

— Paul McCartney (@PaulMcCartney) October 6, 2019

Sad news hearing that Ginger Baker has died, I remember playing with him very early on in Alexis Korner’s Blues Incorporated. He was a fiery but extremely talented and innovative drummer. pic.twitter.com/tZg3IGwP4Z

— Mick Jagger (@MickJagger) October 6, 2019

Ginger Baker was a great and unique musician and an innovator as well - he will be sorely missed - I met him many years ago in the old days and saw him a couple years ago in New York and he still sounded great - 1/2

— Dave Davies (@davedavieskinks) October 6, 2019

- he always had nice things to say about the Kinks - i feel bad but he had a good run - love and blessings Dave Davies nice drumming in this song @GingerBDrums https://t.co/sTZJHvp1FC #RIPGingerBaker 2/2

— Dave Davies (@davedavieskinks) October 6, 2019

Sad to hear of the passing of this legend. I was always first and foremost a fan of Cream & so getting to record and play live with Ginger Baker is a very big part of my pro career. Ginger could be difficult, sure, but he was truly unique behind that drum kit. R.I.P Ginger. ?❤️ pic.twitter.com/c5wjRdnhH7 — Bernie Marsden (@Bernie_Marsden) October 6, 2019

Ginger Baker...R.I.P. pic.twitter.com/PPeN8EhW0s

— David Coverdale (@davidcoverdale) October 6, 2019

1/2 As a young musician few drummers stood taller or were a bigger musical influence than Ginger Baker...I will never forget the awesomeness of seeing him perform with Cream at Massey Hall on June 5 1968 along side the late great Jack Bruce and Eric Clapton. pic.twitter.com/U033iRN1ke

— Rush (@rushtheband) October 6, 2019

href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RIPGingerBaker?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#RIPGingerBaker​
pic.twitter.com/GbPJcbaaNq

— Rush (@rushtheband) October 6, 2019

RIP Ginger Baker - who thrilled us all with his massively innovative drumming in CREAM. When I advertised on my (Imperial) College notice board for a drummer to form a group with, I put “‘Wanted : a drummer who can… https://t.co/FnDtbN91Sr

— Dr. Brian May (@DrBrianMay) October 6, 2019

Fly free Ginger....Crazy, happy memories of your time with us.... #GingerBaker #Legend #Anhonour pic.twitter.com/KoOKI1Hitk

— Hawkwind (@HawkwindHQ) October 6, 2019

God bless Ginger Baker incredible musician wild And inventive. drummer Peace and love to his family ?✌️?❤️???☮️ pic.twitter.com/jzAynDMEKy

— #RingoStarr (@ringostarrmusic) October 6, 2019

Statement on the passing of Ginger Baker: https://t.co/ScvekUVqKe pic.twitter.com/nZwCoG1rUX

— Steve Winwood (@SteveWinwood) October 6, 2019

So much freedom in his playing. What a wildman. Rhythms we’ve hear all our lives he plucked them out of the sky. Rest In Peace Ginger Baker. https://t.co/e3L4IHodhT

— Flea (@flea333) October 6, 2019

Ginger Baker was a big influence when I was in my teens. The Cream were one of my favourite all-time bands. I went to see them 8 times. Ginger was always on fire!

~Carl pic.twitter.com/3c1xc96JMy — Carl Palmer (@ELP_carl) October 6, 2019

Continue reading...