Mesa 2:90 Opinions

Sloan

Sounds like shit!
Oct 22, 2006
Atlanta, GA
www.sloanstewart.com
Ok, i have a chance to snatch a Mesa 2:90 power amp that is BROKEN for $200. I have repaired a ton of shit. Looks like i can resell this for about $800 on ebay if I fix it.

I was wondering if anyone here was familiar enough with these to know common issues or if it would even be worth keeping around after I fix it.

I've never encountered anyone with serious issues beyond dead tubes in these, but they are seriously MIGHTY poweramps. Incredibly detailed sound, well worth investing in.

I have one on my bench right now with a completely burned out wiring harness. It seems to be a common problem (via the interwebs). Essentially the quick connect causes too much resistance and the solution is to hardwire it.

The biggest bitch is getting the board out to do any work on them. Since just about everything else is hardwired, you damn near have to take the entire amp apart to get the damn board out. So be prepared for that.

There are also a shitload of tubes in there, so a re-tube is going to seriously cost you if those are bad. And since it is a fixed bias amp, you either have to go with Mesa tubes ($$$) or get a tube dealer to get a bias tested set for you.

Anyway I am not looking forward to diving into this one. Sometimes you get lucky though and you can just clip the component out and leave the leads, then solder to the leads. So cap jobs and such, that is a nifty trick. But in this wiring harness case... yeah the board has to come out.

But at $200, yeah I would jump on it. When working they slay and you could definitely turn a profit on getting it working.

I knew a guy that ran a rocktron chameleon through it and it sounded godlike live.

unbelievable poweramp.

if you want tubes i say go peavey rockmaster.

KEEP IT!!!!!!

Happy and proud owner of one for like 10 years now and that bad boy delivers

Hey Skinny Viking,
One question man what do you use it with? I love that poweramp its so smooth and creamy but its not the modern more aggressive type of sound, do you agree?

Sorry for hijacking!

If you don't buy it, tell me how I can get it!!! I have had a Rock Master-->Chameleon-->2:90 setup for years and I love it. I did just have to have the header redone when it burned up on me, like someone else mentioned. I've had the thing for like 10 yrs. and the repair (local shop) only cost me $100 or so, so I'm not upset in the least.

And I wouldn't worry about getting Mesa tubes, the Mesa bias is pretty cold and will sound great with slightly hot tubes.

Hey Skinny Viking,
One question man what do you use it with? I love that poweramp its so smooth and creamy but its not the modern more aggressive type of sound, do you agree?

Sorry for hijacking!

You mean for a pre? Triaxis. I run an Intellifex through the loop for fx but since the 2:90 is the sister amp to the Triaxis all the modes switches are midi controllable as well

Oh then its a perfect match i love the TA with the 2:90! What i meant is i tried other more modern preamps through the 2:90 and it didnt feel like a perfect match as the poweramp section was a bit too smooth to achieve the more modern tones. But with the mark sound its beautiful absolutelly!

Thanks for the answer man!

Oh then its a perfect match i love the TA with the 2:90! What i meant is i tried other more modern preamps through the 2:90 and it didnt feel like a perfect match as the poweramp section was a bit too smooth to achieve the more modern tones. But with the mark sound its beautiful absolutelly!

Thanks for the answer man!

sorry dude, I missed that part of your question ... I did run something else through it once, I honestly can't remember what pre it was but I remember that all I did was switch over to the "modern" mode of the 2:90 and while it still retained that smooth feel it did add enough of an extra edge to the sound that I could never have complained. I also didn't have a lot of time to experiment with settings and all on either unit so I'm sure I could have dialed in something perfect for each.

sorry dude, I missed that part of your question ... I did run something else through it once, I honestly can't remember what pre it was but I remember that all I did was switch over to the "modern" mode of the 2:90 and while it still retained that smooth feel it did add enough of an extra edge to the sound that I could never have complained. I also didn't have a lot of time to experiment with settings and all on either unit so I'm sure I could have dialed in something perfect for each.

Oh cool! i was planning on trying the engl E530 with it one day (but id have to buy it cause its not available here) which is why i was wonderin if i would be able to achieve a modern tone with the 2:90 or if i would have to put it in the effects loop of a recto or 5150 or som like that

Guess il have to try it with the modern switch then! at least for that sound. For the rest i love the mark tone! (though the modern and deep works well with that too)

Thanks man :)

Ok I bought this thing yesterday for $200. Looks perfect inside but that molex connector does have one connection that is somewhat burned. No diagnosis yet, I'll report back when I get into it. It was worth $200 just for all the fucking tubes.

This thing was a fucking dickpain to work on. It's bullshit. I have accomplished my goal of getting rid of the molex connection, but I am unable to test it right now since my cab is in the band trailer outside and there are srsly tornado conditions and hail all over the fucking place.

PICT0016.jpg

The burned connector

PICT0018.jpg

Hard wiring and getting rid of the connector

PICT0019.jpg

Mission accomplished

PICT0022.jpg

I noticed one tube socket has arced. I'm weary of firing the thing up again, but I don't have any sockets like this laying around so I'll chance it.

This thing is working great! I suspected maybe an output tube was blown due to seeing the arc'd socket, but both channels are working properly. I ran tse x30 into it and it sounds pretty rad. I might try to make some shitty clips when I get time...