MESHUGGAH 2016 release (Tue Madsen)

I love this, and that's coming from someone who hasn't been a huge fan over the years. They always have the most ridiculously heavy as fuck production and this is no exception.

Do I sense a hint of Chaosphere? Best I've heard from Meshuggah in many years. Lost interest after Catch 33, but now might be the time to get back.

This band has kinda bored me in the past. But FUCK these songs are good. I've always got why people love them so much, I just never quite fell in love with them. But I'll be picking this record up for sure and giving it some study.

Am I the only one who's pretty bored with these songs? Maybe I just need to hear them on good speakers and appreciate from a production standpoint.

i think you´re not. The sound is great, the riffs are great ... for a minute. I miss some sort of "kicker", progression or some catchy C-part. Just like the new Opeth

If you're a drummer, you'll probably want to go practice after you watch this. Haake is incredible.

Also shout out for the guitar player wearing the slippers in the back. I'm sure he had to wear them to keep the noise down from tapping his foot the whole time.

Does anyone have any additional production info for the album? I was under the impression that Meshuggah have used programmed drums and guitar sims on albums in the past. Maybe that's just for demo purposes and then they track the album live?

I saw Mark Lewis post on instagram about them really capturing a 'live' feel this time around. I'd love to see a trend start to go the other way focused on musicianship, original sounds and live tracking.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any additional production info for the album? I was under the impression that Meshuggah have used programmed drums and guitar sims on albums in the past. Maybe that's just for demo purposes and then they track the album live?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...al_amps_for_the_first_time_in_many_years.html

By recording live, did it change the way you approached the drums?

It didn't change so much how we approached the drum recording as much as it did the guitar and bass. This is also the first album in many years where we actually used amps and miked cabinets like old school. So the guitar setup was five cabinets with five heads: Orange, Marshall, Mesa Boogie and different heads for each cabinet and each cabinet miked so we could pick and choose and change the guitar tone a little bit depending on whether it's a sludgier song or a faster paced one. So there's actually a little bit of difference in the guitar sound throughout the album, which is something we haven't done in a very long time.

^^nice!
Fredrik [Thordendal, guitar] was in the control room playing guitar and the guitar booth was kind of in-between the big drum room and the control room. Dick [Lövgren, bass] was sitting right next to my drumset but his amp was in a backroom obviously for separation. He had an old SVT Ampeg with two 8x10 cabinets and he cranked the hell out of that thing and miked it with a couple different microphones. Jens [Kidman, vocals] was in his own room singing so we did vocals, one guitar, bass and drums simultaneously. Then of course we add more guitars 'cause there's a total of four rhythm guitars and then there are the leads and the melody parts.

I wonder how much of the vocals were re-done. Also wonder in the mixing process how much of the drum tones stay natural, if there are samples/ kick samples blended in.

That's pretty awesome that they recorded 5 amps and cabs separately but used them independently depending on the song or part instead of making a mushy wall of shit like some people do when they record several amps and mix them together hahaha

I love the fact that Meshuggah can record an album with programmed drums and ampsims and then do an album completely live with everyone playing together and using real amps and more "classic" recording techniques and although the difference in sound is clearly noticeable and awesome, it's still Meshuggah by all accounts, which comes to prove it's the musicians that make their sound, which is good news for people working hard and practicing their skills and songwriting trying to find their own "sound", bad news for people who buy (or crack) ezdrummer and ampsims saying "meshuggah do it so they sound good and I can sound like them".

Can't wait to experience these new songs live next month, I've seen them twice at festivals but a Meshuggah headline indoors show is something I need in my life.

Amazing! I see using many different rigs in the same song seems to be freaking hard to mix in order to shape something coherent and "invisible" and not sound A, sound B, which would be very distractive and unmusical to me (at least for most Metal genres). I'd be a bit afraid to do that tbh, I'm gotta try it tho. Do you guys have already used this technique?

Gave the album a few listens now. obZen is still my favourite but I also like this one. But besides that: holy crap, I saw them last monday for the first time live. What an amazing show!