Meshuggah cracks the top 20!

Aug 14, 2008
"Koloss", the new album from Swedish experimental extreme metallers MESHUGGAH, sold 18,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 17 on The Billboard 200 chart.

Deservedly so imo! The album is their best ever I think.

It's 18,342 to be exact :lol:

But I agree, it is very much deserved and an amazing, amazing album. Congrats to them!!

"Koloss", the new album from Swedish experimental extreme metallers MESHUGGAH, sold 18,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 17 on The Billboard 200 chart.

Deservedly so imo! The album is their best ever I think.

I wonder how much money the band itself actually makes off of selling 18,000 copies in the US?

~Brian~

I wonder how much money the band itself actually makes off of selling 18,000 copies in the US?

~Brian~

That depends on alot of things. Firstly, it depends how much money NB USA spent on promoting the record, as well as any advances. CD profits from physical retail are usually about $3 per record sold after manufacturing costs and distribution fees, so that means the net profit for all those sales comes out to around $54,000 at least. Some of those are digital sales so in that case that number would be even larger as the profit margin for digital sales is higher (about $7 per digital album sold). The band sold even more records than 18,000 when considering that the label does its own pre-order packages that don't count towards Soundscan figures.

All of these factors would lead me to estimate that the gross earning from all the sales would yield around $100 k USD (if you factor in pre-order bundles that the label sells separately from the stores, early digital sales, etc) so far. If we're to assume that the label spent $ 50 k on promoting and marketing it (which is my rough guestimation of how much was spent), then those budgets were recouped, leaving $50,000 net profits. I am purposely not factoring in recording costs, video advances, and artwork advances because I imagine that European sales would have recouped those costs anyways (the album comes out earlier in Europe if I'm not mistaken).

Royalty rates differ from band to band. A band like Meshuggah that is well known, established, and sells lots of records may have a 50-50 royalty split with its label, so if that was the case it would see 50% all net profits earned. So if we're to take my hypothetical guestimations seriously, Meshugghah would have made over $75,000 from current sales. However, if the band has an industry-standard 15% royalty deal (which I doubt, but you never know), Meshuggah would have made over $22,000 from royalties.

However even all of this is uncertain. If the band has a publishing deal (which I know for a fact Meshuggah has), the entire game changes. In some publishing deals, the publisher gets all rights to the recordings and the songwriting, advances the band a huge fee (HUGE; like 250,000 euro all the way up to the million + euro range) and the band spends portions of that money on making the record. However I'm not sure what the terms of this deal are, so I'm not even going to bother guessing how it works for them.

That depends on alot of things. Firstly, it depends how much money NB USA spent on promoting the record, as well as any advances. CD profits from physical retail are usually about $3 per record sold after manufacturing costs and distribution fees, so that means the net profit for all those sales comes out to around $54,000 at least. Some of those are digital sales so in that case that number would be even larger as the profit margin for digital sales is higher (about $7 per digital album sold). The band sold even more records than 18,000 when considering that the label does its own pre-order packages that don't count towards Soundscan figures.

All of these factors would lead me to estimate that the gross earning from all the sales would yield around $100 k USD (if you factor in pre-order bundles that the label sells separately from the stores, early digital sales, etc) so far. If we're to assume that the label spent $ 50 k on promoting and marketing it (which is my rough guestimation of how much was spent), then those budgets were recouped, leaving $50,000 net profits. I am purposely not factoring in recording costs, video advances, and artwork advances because I imagine that European sales would have recouped those costs anyways (the album comes out earlier in Europe if I'm not mistaken).

Royalty rates differ from band to band. A band like Meshuggah that is well known, established, and sells lots of records may have a 50-50 royalty split with its label, so if that was the case it would see 50% all net profits earned. So if we're to take my hypothetical guestimations seriously, Meshugghah would have made over $75,000 from current sales. However, if the band has an industry-standard 15% royalty deal (which I doubt, but you never know), Meshuggah would have made over $22,000 from royalties.

However even all of this is uncertain. If the band has a publishing deal (which I know for a fact Meshuggah has), the entire game changes. In some publishing deals, the publisher gets all rights to the recordings and the songwriting, advances the band a huge fee (HUGE; like 250,000 euro all the way up to the million + euro range) and the band spends portions of that money on making the record. However I'm not sure what the terms of this deal are, so I'm not even going to bother guessing how it works for them.

Interesting stuff indeed. I honestly have no unearthly idea what some of these bands are making. I was under the illusion back in the 80's that everyone that got a video played on MTV or the band's picture put in a hard rock magazine they had to be making millions upon millions! I know that's not the case, but lately I've been very curious about how metal musicians even make ends meet these days. That's why I always want to properly support the bands I love, because I view it as almost like supporting a local, small business owner in my hometown or something.

~Brian~

Interesting stuff indeed. I honestly have no unearthly idea what some of these bands are making. I was under the illusion back in the 80's that everyone that got a video played on MTV or the band's picture put in a hard rock magazine they had to be making millions upon millions! I know that's not the case, but lately I've been very curious about how metal musicians even make ends meet these days. That's why I always want to properly support the bands I love, because I view it as almost like supporting a local, small business owner in my hometown or something.

~Brian~

It's still possible for bands to make ends meet, but it ain't an easy road to get there. It's a lot of backbreaking work over a long period of time. Every little bit of support counts!