meshuggah..others??

cheezruff

Feb 13, 2002
Visit site
I am really a fan of Meshuggah, and find their rhythmic construction to be very challenging to understand. I have started transcribing some songs, but it really takes a while to do this. Does anyone have any recomendations of other bands that have a similar style, maybe even a little simpler, in the hopes that this polyrhythmic style will become easier to digest? I am mostly interested in the not so recent material that is more busy/thrash ortiented.

I have both those cds, and find them very interesting and full of cool rhythms and playing. They are a good example of a similar rhythmic style to meshuggah, I need some more bands like that to listen to. I would also like to get more thrash- oriented stuff, if thats the correct category, in the hopes of finding music somewhat like Destroy Erase Improve.

speaking of which, your sites page on theory in practice is wrong. Johan Ekman did lead vocals and rhythm (and some lead) guitar on the first album which doesn't seem to be on there.

Originally posted by jimbobhickville
well, it's not exactly like it, but try Mastodon and Lethargy, if you haven't already.

They're more hardcore than thrash, but those 2 genres are fairly similar anyway. Great technical stuff, though, especially the drumming. Brann Dailor is moving up my list of favorites quickly.
The Dillinger Escape Plan, Spiral Architect, Sieges Even, Candiria, Today is The Day ("In The Eyes of God" , the guitarist and drumer from Lethargy have join in this album, before they make Mastodon), Converge "Jane Doe", Death (with Richard Cristy on drums), Cephalic Carnage, The End (this canada answer to dillinger escape plan)
:rolleyes: