METAL CHURCH reunites for 70k Tons of Metal....and beyond?

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
Posting here in the lounge due to the mention of the 70000 Tons of Metal cruise...

From http://www.bravewords.com/news/191700 :

METAL CHURCH singer Ronny Munroe recently spoke to BraveWords.com correspondent Deb Rao regarding the news that the band will reunite on the 70000 Tons Of Metal cruise on January 28th, 2013.

BraveWords.com: Ronny, it is a triumphant day in metal. Metal Church will be reuniting on the 70000 Tons Of Metal Cruise next year (complete details here). Tell us how this all transpired.

Munroe: "Basically, Kurdt and I have been talking through out the years since the break-up since we are friends not just band mates. He called me a few weeks ago and asked me if I was ready to do this again. He has a bunch of cool ideas. Basically, that when we do come out we will work on not being treated like we were treated before. Not that we were treated badly but we never really got the respect that we deserved. That has something to do with why we broke up in the first place. Among other things. Basically, he just called me up and wants to do it again. Who's going to say no to that."

BraveWords.com: Is there going to be a tour following the Cruise? Are there any tour plans in progress?

Munroe: "Right now we are going to see what happens with the cruise and then go from there."

BraveWords.com: What can the fans expect to see on the Cruise? I know everyone is excited about this event.

Munroe: "Actually, yes it is going to be pretty special. We are going to do the whole first record in one of our sets. Because when you are on that cruise I believe you do two sets. One is going to be the full first Metal Church record. After that the next set will be the greatest hits from all three eras of the band. It is going to be a blast. It will be fun to get out there and get with the boys. We will see what happens afterwards."

BraveWords.com: Any plans to go into the studio and record?

Munroe: "Right now like I said we are going to play the cruise and play it by ear after that."

cash grab for sure. I know of another fest that asked them early this year and tehy responded that they have zero interest in ever doing anything as a band ever again. I am sure some good money was offered for them to "get back together". Wish it was Howe singing for them. I dont like Monroe as a singer for them. Not powerful enough.

cash grab for sure. I know of another fest that asked them early this year and tehy responded that they have zero interest in ever doing anything as a band ever again. I am sure some good money was offered for them to "get back together". Wish it was Howe singing for them. I dont like Monroe as a singer for them. Not powerful enough.

Bob, but to be fair (and completely unbiased), answer me this... Honestly, if you were in their position, which festival of the two (70,000t and this other one you're referring to), would you have picked to do a reunion show? Please consider size, location, audience size and possible fee payment...

Oh I agree...just funny how bands act like they are doing this because of the art / creative aspect. 100% cash grab. Any band would be crazy not to take the cruise. I just hate when bands say they are broken up due to lack of interest and stuff then come back a few years later acting like it never happened.

Anyone know whatever happened with Mike Howe? Easily their best vocalist for me. Doesn't appear that he did anything after Metal Church from what I can find.

Oh I agree...just funny how bands act like they are doing this because of the art / creative aspect. 100% cash grab. Any band would be crazy not to take the cruise. I just hate when bands say they are broken up due to lack of interest and stuff then come back a few years later acting like it never happened.

+ 1

Its even worse though when no one truly significant is even still in the band.
I mean ok, they have one of their original guitarists.....

Should Ronny Munroe even be speaking on behalf of the band?

I have no idea what MC got offered, but if I had to take an educated guess based on the bands that play 70,000 tons and that the cruise ship only hosts about a few thousand people, I seriously doubt they got paid all that much, if at all. I am sure the fest offered to fly them out, give them a free cruise with free amenities, and maybe a few hundred bucks. That being said, I do agree with you. I think the idea that bands saying "we do this for the art and only that" is kind of a lie and I wish bands were a little more honest with themselves and their fans.

I have no idea what MC got offered, but if I had to take an educated guess based on the bands that play 70,000 tons and that the cruise ship only hosts about a few thousand people, I seriously doubt they got paid all that much, if at all. I am sure the fest offered to fly them out, give them a free cruise with free amenities, and maybe a few hundred bucks. That being said, I do agree with you. I think the idea that bands saying "we do this for the art and only that" is kind of a lie and I wish bands were a little more honest with themselves and their fans.

I agree. I know a lot of bands who have the DIY mindset and are in it for the music. Most larger acts are in it for money. I am sure they enjoy playing the music but these acts are not going to say play some out of town small bar show for 200 bucks in the name of metal and the art of it. I would rather have bands come out and say it was the offer they got....who would turn down a free cruise??? I wouldnt if I was in a band. I would have more respect for bands just to be honest. I hate when they say all this phony stuff about being true to the scene and then asking ten grand to play a show. Just come out and say...."hey, we all have jobs, families, so playing a one off is going to cost because it will also put us out."

70k isn't said to be overly generous with the cash payments, but as others have said the cruise + airfare is good for most bands. Amon Amarth just managed to break even, I believe. It's been a legit vacation for the bands though, they get to see old friends and the fans are pretty relaxed, or unconscious.

Anyone know whatever happened with Mike Howe? Easily their best vocalist for me. Doesn't appear that he did anything after Metal Church from what I can find.

I am one of the biggest Howe era MC fans on the planet, yet I have no clue what he did after MC. He hasn't reappeared on the scene. Might check out some Urban Breed though..... Tad Morose/Bloodbound. He was the closest to scratch the itch of missing Mike Howe.

Bryant

I am one of the biggest Howe era MC fans on the planet, yet I have no clue what he did after MC. He hasn't reappeared on the scene. Might check out some Urban Breed though..... Tad Morose/Bloodbound. He was the closest to scratch the itch of missing Mike Howe.

Bryant

Found this on Wikipedia:
"Metal Church founder Kurdt Vanderhoof reported that Howe has retired and is living in Tennessee with his family" circa '98.

they are now headlining Headbangers Open Air doing a "first album" show. I could never get into the Monroe stuff. Just his vocals dont do anything for me. Just bland. I would though love to see the HOA show. The first 3 Metal Church albums are great.

Mike Howe got religious, so I think it might be tough to get him involved, but if that lineup could be brought back together, I would shit a gold brick and then attend.

Bryant