Metal Friendly Scales?

Oxidised Razor Masticator

Paradox Philosopher
Feb 28, 2004
Albury, NSW Australia
www.angelfire.com
Can anyone point out a few good scales to practice, mainly for writing melodic deathmetal styled harmonies?

I have been playing guitar for about 11 years now, and have a very moderate grip on music theory. I have been writing music longer than I have been playing guitar, and always do it by ear. However, I am getting right into harmonies, in particular of the likes of Soilwork, In Flames, Arch Enemy and Carcass (Heartwork). I have been using Harmonic Minor lately and getting really nice results, but want to expand my harmonising feel and also work on more shapes for appregio's.

Thanx,

-GoaT

diminished and augmented scales are good. For arpeggios...well, wow, if you know how to write an arpeggio you should be able to think up something in your head as you're listening to it, and write the harmonic accompiniment to it, or just do the arpeggio and do the same thing, but a fifth lower or higher, always works hahaha...

does anyone know what the name is of that scale where you can combine major and minor notes so you have a lot more and your composition is neither minor or major. It's used a lot in metal, you end up with 4 consecutive frets on the guitar u can use in places etc. I read a tutorial once but didnt fully understand it.. id just like to read more about it now and see a fretboard with the notes mapped out, or make one.

This is relative to this thread and I believe it will help people like 'Oxidised Razor' who are at least trying to make metallica-style music.

Cheers,
Ryan

could be mixolydion or phrygian - but they have the normal amount of notes, just a minor 7th / major 6th i think. Try www.freakguitar.com and go to scales - it has probably every scale there. But Oxidised Razor, those (phygian/mixolydian)would be good to use. Can't remember which way round it is but - one is a normal minor scale with a mojor sixth, the other is a major scale with a minor 7th i think. also try the dorian scale.

Minor scale with a major 6th (and a major 7th as well) would be Melodic Minor. But responding to the original poster, In Flames type stuff, as far as I know is 99% Natural Minor. Other cool stuff to check out would be the minor modes of the major scale (Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian (natural minor) and the diminished mode (Locrian).

melodic minor is what you are talking about that has elements of both major and minor scales it is also called the jazz minor scale....

my guitar is tuned to standard (e a d g b e)

my favorite scales to use are E minor (iron maiden!) and i really like C# Minor (which works well because it is the relative minor of E major)

from their i usually make them harmonic minor for added touches \m/

Try doing some harmonic minor and diminished scales.

Bands like Borknagar and Cryptopsy get their unique sound from adding notes into a scale where they otherwise wouldn't be placed, much like a jazz guitarist would, or adding open strings to power chords.
Just try not to do a 3rd, 4th, 5th fret progression unless you want to sound like a blues player (or opeth - those guys are very blues influenced)

I think the guitar grimore is overkill for a beginner...

Check out some Emperor, Dissection, Suffocation and Death tabs on the net to gain note choice knowledge. These guys are the masters.

I find it helps to skip intervals in metal riffs.

Try going from the first note of the scale to the 4th and back to the 3rd and the the 6th. It is called sequencing.

Theory In Practice are a swedish death metal band who in my opinion have the best note choice I have ever heard. Check them out.

TwilightSymphony said:
Try the Guitar Grimoire series from Carl Fischer Publishing. Plenty of scale forms to experiment with there. :Spin:

Hm, I am wondering about this book. Is it really a good book to get?

I already own “The Gig Bag Book of Scales for all Guitarists,” so is it better than that book? I don’t want to pick it up unless it is better than that book.

Also, I was thinking about getting their “Guitar Grimoire Progressions and Improvisation” book instead. Does anyone here have this book, and is it a good book to get?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Creeping Death said:
diminished and augmented scales are good. For arpeggios...well, wow, if you know how to write an arpeggio you should be able to think up something in your head as you're listening to it, and write the harmonic accompiniment to it, or just do the arpeggio and do the same thing, but a fifth lower or higher, always works hahaha...

yeah arpeggios :headbang: