Metal Hammer Golden Gods June 11th

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
Anyone attending this year?

I was just looking through some of the nominees for awards......best new band for example.....can't say I've even heard of most of them, never mind actually "heard" them.

Kind of funny really but when did metal bands start having names like Parkway Drive and Animals as Leaders?

Clearly I'm on a bit of a rant this morning.....

I (as well as most of my band) am attending. Han & Nikki and many more are coming, too. Animals as Leaders are actually quite interesting, you should check them out, Stevey boy!

Not coming along, then? That's a shame! Animals as Leaders is very heavy, very progressive 8 string guitar stuff. Familiarity is good, but it's always good to try and discover new talent for when the stuff of old is no longer around :)

I find it's also good to branch out and listen to some of the 'breaking bands' of the moment so I don't end up finding Power Metal too generic and get to the point where I'm saying 'I've heard this x many times before'. Just helps to keep the spark there :lol: you can also finds some gems in areas that you never thought you'd enjoy. I've recently been listening to some Cancer Bats, Jeff Loomis and The Mars Volta. Then I happened to come across an awesome 80's style Journey/Foreigner band called 'The Magnificent' :headbang:

Pretty much agree with Andi's opinion of Animals as Leaders. Good band, something a bit different and Tosin Abasi is an incredible Guitarist.

But yeah, Bands like The Defiled and Parkway Drive...no thanks.

Hope people that are going have a great time!

Edit: I went to school with 'While She Sleeps' Guitarist Mat Welsh! A slight claim to fame of mine haha.

Had a good night. Nice to catch up with Andrea, wasn't expecting to see him! The Golden Gods are always more about the social than the awards themselves for me, so I had a good time.