Metal Research

KanoaJames

New Metal Member
Feb 13, 2011
Hey, my name is Kanoa James and I am just getting into the metal scene. I currently go to the University of Denver and am enrolled in a class entitled “Heavy Metal & the Re-enactment of Modern Life” (sick title ya?) My latest paper is about you, the fans of Metal and why metal fans seem to be set apart from the wrest of music fandom.

If you have a moment, please respond to any of the following questions. Any response, even minimal would be greatly appreciated.

1. Why did you get into Metal? What is your story?
2. What is your personal favorite genre, band and what do they mean to you?
3. Could you imagine yourself without metal?
4. Where do you see yourself if you had never come across metal?
5. What is the one metal song that changed your life?
6. Being a metal fan, do you have any pet peeves about other genres or fans?

And lastly.

7. How does metal make you feel about yourself in relation to others and do you give metal an identity, or do you find an identity from metal.

Once again thank you for all you help.
Kanoa

I heard some shit metal on the radio when I was a kid, then slowly got into it and found out less popular, better bands.
atmospheric black metal, Burzum. Its all about nationalism, racism, and a hatred of the modern world to me.
Yeah, i'd probably be happier and friendlier.
Same job and life, i'd just be a bit less negative.
None really. My favorite song is My Journey to the Stars by Burzum.
Any of the bands that think using gore or graphic stuff just for the sake of being "br00tal" is cool.
Having a name like "Brutally torture innocent babies" doesn't make you cool, especially when you play shitty thrash metal or grindcore.
Also, all the anti-religion stuff is annoying now. Back in the day it was ok but now it has been used so many times its just old. Your not gonna be the next Mayhem so stop trying.

And lastly.

7. How does metal make you feel about yourself in relation to others and do you give metal an identity, or do you find an identity from metal.
I just feel like i'm a bit less concerned about social matters than the average since i'm not listening to music talking about "sex, drugs, and rock n roll" or whatever.

RavageTheKingdom,

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I am looking for. Is there anything else that you like to comment on? I notice you may have a lot of concern with which way metal may be heading? Sounds like you may come across a lot of poser bands perhaps or ones lacking a certain validity?

Kanoa

I think I have a different idea about what a poser band is than most metal fans. I have said im a black metal fan, but I feel like today black metal has been completely ruined by the Satanic bs that is all in it now. For example bands like Gorgoroth are very popular in the scene. When interviewed all its members have said the message is more important than the music. To me that just means the music sucks(which is certainly does) and that they are a bunch of clowns putting on a show for people because their music cant keep their attention. Black metal was supposed to be a rejection of the modern world and mainstream society. But people completely forgot that and just started acting like clowns and making generic "hail Satan, prince of darkness" music. As Fenriz said, people like to dress up, and thats about what the genre is today. people dressing up and pretending to be completely evil.

But this stuff works in cycles and I think in 5 or so years there will be a new wave of black metal(they may not call it black metal) and it will set things right for a while but then some megalomaniacs will get in it and ruin it to, and we'll start all over again.

1) I was in some kind of club at the age of 10-11. The other kids were some years older than me and mocked me for my casette tapes with Rick Astley, Roxette and Phil Collins. So I started listening to Guns n' Roses instead and then continued along AC/DC, Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera etc. I then started exploring metal and found my feet along the more melodic/Gothic approach with the Gothenburg style and some dark metal or Gothic Doom like My Dying Bride Theatre of Tragedy, Within Temptation, Samael, Rotting Christ, Opeth, Tristania, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Amorphis, Arch Enemy, Sentenced, Tiamat, Hypocrisy etc. At this point I also tried out some melodic/Symphonic Death like Dimmu Borgir, Dissection and I started going in a more black direction.
2) I almost only listens to black metal nowadays. I listen to many kinds of black metal; some oldschool stuff and some new stuff. I prefer bands which have something unique to offer. I prefer the German scene to any other. German metal from the last decade is metal at its' best imo. Bands like Nagelfar, Ruins of Beverast, Katharsis, Lunar Aurora, Heimdalls Wacht, Graupel, Nocte Obducta etc. I also like some French stuff, some American/Canadian, some Eastern European, Swizz/Austrian and some Scandinavian black metal. My Dying Bride is the only band which has kept my interest since my early metal days.
Well, it quite obviously means quite much to me. I have been counting Last.fm stats for the last 4½ year and apparently I listen to metal for 7 hours a day in average. I don't listen to metal at work so metal takes up two thirds of my spare time.
3) No
4) The same place. I would probably be listening to some indie stuff instead. I could never imagine myself listening to conventional music.
5) Hmm, there are more. My Dying Bride's "The Cry of Mankind", Opeth's "Black Rose Immortal", Summoning's "Elfstone", Agalloch's "She Painted Fire Across The Skyline", Windir's "Journey to the End" and Nagelfar's "Meuterei" are all milestones.
6) Hmm, not really. I think it's annoying that people seem to think that metal fans are all alike. I use to say that metal spans more wide than all popular music altogether. I like people with a passion for music just like myself. I don't really care whether it's indie, electronic, metal or whatever. But I better relate with people who share this extreme passion for music. I have a hard time relating to people who turns on the radio and listens to Pink and The Black Eyed Peas.
7) I most certainly find an identity through metal but I like not to pose it off. So people may only tell by talking/discussing with me. I couldnt care about all the metal gimmicks, the silly satanic lyrics, the evil imagery. I like the atheistic approach and the philosophic thoughts behind some bands/lyrics. I see myself as an existentialist and I find much inspiration in metal. But like I said earlier, metal spans wide. So I only use some metal for this, while other metal is good for drinking and having fun. I never wear metal clothes or other metal imagery. In general I'm a very positive man, drawing positive powers from all kinds of metal.

Like I said in an old interview about the exact same stuff: The Sprite slogan says everything about my relation to metal:

Image is nothing. Thirst is everything.

Phenomenal!
Both of you have just made my report!
Thank you for all your time. I am thoroughly enjoying this assignment because of you.

Kanoa

I don't give a fuck!. That's how I got into metal. It's the side of me that just does not give a fuck.

Metallica lol.
Progressive Death Metal. Cynic. Paul Masvidal is a fucking genius.
Yeah. I'd probably be listening to classic rock or something
More friends, less condescending attitude. I'd probably get more done if I didn't to listen to as much music as well.
idk if one song has changed my life, but all the music I listen to as a whole definitely has.
I fucking hate trendy metalcore breakdown-ridden shit targeting lonely kids in high school making a profit off of them. We Came as Romans and Bullet for My Valentine come to mind.

I sort of wish more people listened to what I listen to so I'd have someone to talk music with, but I mean I don't really give or receive an identity from metal. I just really like listening to the music.

I hope I helped in some way?

does your prof. use 'Heavy Metal' as a subgenre of Metal like Death Metal and so forth, or as the genre Death/Black/power/folk/etc. are all subgenres of?

I was learning how to play guitar in junior high school and was starting to get into heavier things. Then I found Metallica, and that pretty much started it all

Black metal. I'm more of a fan of the pagan, nature, folk black metal bands like Agalloch, Primordial, Negura Bunget and Ulver. To me these bands are more concerned about the relation between the individual and society and how modern urban society often deprives the individual of a truly happy life.

Yeah absolutely. I listen to other genres of music (jazz, classical, some indie...)

Same.

I suppose Agalloch's "In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion". I had never heard anything like that before that was so poetic and introspective. It really struck a chord with me

Not really. People can listen to whatever they like.

And lastly.

In relation to others, metal hasn't affected my self-perception or interaction. I don't walk around 24/7 in a band shirt, long hair and a band patch vest. I suppose I'd be lying if I said metal hasn't influenced my identity, but I don't believe I entirely derived my identity and personality from listening to heavy metal. I would still highly value individuality and stuff regardless of what music I listen to

When I was about 13 I started getting into Rock/Grunge and then a couple years later I started looking for heavier music and started getting into metel.

My favorite genres are Power Metal,Folk Metal and Black Metal.

I guess so, I listen to other genre out of Metal.

Same place I am now lol

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark ... First song that ever got me into metal.

Nope!

And lastly.

95% of my friends do not listen to metal 4.5% listen to crap like Avenged sevenfold .. would be nice to know people more into what I like but meh no biggie

- One day I was just listening to some radio and found some metal I liked, then went on other popular bands like Slipknot and SOAD etc

- Favorite genre is probably doom metal. I like all kinds of genres pretty equally but doom stands out for me just a little bit. Favorite band is either Wintersun or Agalloch.

- Not really

- I would just have a shitty music taste then

- I guess Amorphis' Into Hiding, it got me into extreme metal

- Not really

7. How does metal make you feel about yourself in relation to others and do you give metal an identity, or do you find an identity from metal?
- Metal hasnt really affected on the way I dress or act or anything too much. I have fairly long hair but thats more because I like having a long hair, and besides im cutting it off soon, its annoying as hell on a windy day. And I guess some bands have made my view of life a bit different.

Fuck I wish that I could take a course like that! Lucky you man!
I envy yea! To answer your questions though:

I grew up in a metal household from both my parents; mainly my dad. Metallica was the biggest influence on me, but as I started to get older I got into latest metal, just as much as the older stuff.

2. What is your personal favourite genre, band and what do they mean to you?

Thrash/Groove metal for sure! Bands like LOG, Pantera, Slayer, and the list goes on. All these bands have heavy drum beats, which I love!

No not really since its helped me get through the worst of shit. Currently a heartache at this very moment.

Just a rocker chick; my early childhood I was more into the heavy rock, as I got older I gained more of an appreciation towards the metal scene.

That’s a really hard to say actually. Each month I have a new favourite band that I'm glued to, so I find that a song goes for the same way.

Yes, the whole metalcore scene makes me cringe! I'm more of a late 80's, early 90's chick. The long hair, ripped jeans is more my kind of style. I'm sick of seeing guys with thick black eyeliner and wearing a fuck ton more make-up than I could ever possibly put on. I also hate emo and goth chicks who think they're metal.

I'm not like any ordinary chick you see out in public. I get compliments all the time for being original and not following the basic trends of today. I like being the only chick throughout my high school years who was a geninue metalhead; as the same thing now applies for my first year in college. As I'm the only chick whose listens to metal in my class. So I guess you could say that metal identifies me!

I got into metal when I was in the 3rd grade. My older bro somehow got a hold of the latest Slayer album, (Diabolus in Musica at the time), which was odd since he never was into that kind of music. After that, my ears were constantly open for anything that sounded heavy, which resulted in regretful wastes of cash getting shit like Slipknot, Static X, etc. Then in 7th grade, I went to Mexico with my mom where I found out my older cousin was into the metal scene and introduced me to real bands like Sepultura, Morbid Angel(they instantly became and still are my favorite band), Obituary, Deicide, etc.
I really don't have a favorite genre, I listen to everything from death metal to thrash, folk metal to symphonic metal, I'm very open minded. What I can't stand are nu-metal, screamo, and lame shit like that. Two of my favorite bands are Morbid Angel, for being my first death metal I listened, besides the fact that they are just an amazing band, and Immolation, mostly because they really haven't changed there style since they came out in the 90's and their music seems based more on the up beat rather the down beat, at least to me.
Honestly I couldn't, its such a huge part of my life that it would be like living without food nor water.
As I mentioned before, I can't imagine myself without metal that I can't even begin to imagine how much different my life could have been if I didn't come across it.
Bil Ur-Sag by Morbid Angel from the album, Formulas Fatal to the Flesh. When I first heard it in Mexico in the 7th grade, not only did it make me realized there was better music out, a lot of the song is sung in a different language, that was a huge thing for me at the time!!
I hate with a passion the new genres like nu-metal, screamo, hard core and shit like that. Another annoyance I find at a lot of concerts are the kids, they seem to think that you have to this sort of hard badass because of the music they listen to. Being into metal isn't about that at all, its about the music and coming together to see the same band live, not start stupid shit. One thing I saw a "badass, hard-core" kid wear at a concert made him look like an idiot. I had gotten a permanent marker and wrote on his jean jacket, Satan's child, only he wrote Satin instead, yet he walked around like he was a badass. People like that give us metal heads a bad image. Another pet peeve would be bands that try too hard also with band names and cds covers and such. The worst opening act I've ever seen also had the worst name in metal, Rumpelstiltskin Grinder, now what the fuck is that!? Also, I hate hardcore dancing.

I don't know, maybe I'm just hater or maybe I have point, I'll let you and who ever reads this decide.

And lastly.

Doesn't really make me feel any different from others, everyone has their own taste. That being said, out of the group a friends I have, I'm the only one who really, thoroughly loves metal. One friend is into metal, we were into it when we met and introduced him to more bands when I got back from Mexico, but even him isn't into it like I am. So I guess even among my friends, I'm the hard core metal head of the group, although you probably can't tell from my avatar.

I know I wrote down a long post, but when it comes to metal, I get really passionate.

1. I saw Slayer on TV when I was probably about 10 years old. Went out and bought Show No Mercy and it basically blew my mind.

2. I don't have a favorite genre. What genre or band I listen to at any given moment is determined by my mood.

3. Me discovering metal was inevitable. Somewhere down the road I was bound to come across it sooner or later, considering the personality I have and the way I view the world.

4. Either dead, or as a complete and total spineless tool.

5. Evil Has No Boundries by Slayer.

6. Far too many to even list but I try not to get caught up in all that shit, I just enjoy the music for the sake of enjoyment.

7. Good question. I would be lying if I said I didn't hold some sort of superiority complex over the people around me who don't listen to metal lol but metal has given me alot of strength and confidence in life and will continue to do so many years from now. As for the other half of that question I would say alot of both. I try to be an individual by I am aware of the fact that metal and the metal community has greatly shaped who I am as a person and I'm comfortable with that.