Metal to impress the music Phd

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
I'm taking lessons at my uni from the classical guitar deparment and I was talking with the prof about music after class... anyways, I wanted to bring him a CD of just one or two songs that will show him that metal actually has some substance. Basically I want something really technical but also really unique, not just some neo-classical rip-off deal.

Any ideas?

This same thing happened a few years ago in the forum. The guy ended up using Cryptopsy - Cold Hate, Warm Blood with great success. His prof was impressed. That would be my suggestion. Its technical, brutal, has some structure. That'd be what I'd use.

Opeth is too rockish to use. I want something that will blow his conception of that "heavy metal stuff" away.

Techdeath is your friend there. Technical, largely unique, and there is no way in hell it could be mistaken for rock.

Techdeath is your friend there. Technical, largely unique, and there is no way in hell it could be mistaken for rock.

Not much into the scene, apart from Atheist and Martyr if they count... anything else I should look into?

This same thing happened a few years ago in the forum. The guy ended up using Cryptopsy - Cold Hate, Warm Blood with great success. His prof was impressed. That would be my suggestion. Its technical, brutal, has some structure. That'd be what I'd use.

I remember that...his professor also really liked a track or two from Dimmu Borgir, if you can believe that.

If we're thinking of the same thread, I believe it was anonymousnick that started it. I miss that guy and his giant catfish signatures.

I remember that...his professor also really liked a track or two from Dimmu Borgir, if you can believe that.

If we're thinking of the same thread, I believe it was anonymousnick that started it. I miss that guy and his giant catfish signatures.
I'm pretty sure you're right. His prof told him it took balls to choose a song like that, but he actually was impressed by it. Never question the power of catfish....