Metalheads HELP!!!

theodyssey

Best Album of the Year
Dec 13, 2002
Olympia, WA
Visit site
Ok, i have a project due tomorrow that is my final project for the year. IT's for my sociology class, and i am presenting on the metal community, what it's like, and what stereotypes are seen from outside and inside the metal community. What i need from you:
1) What you feel makes metal a community
2) What stereotypes you see within the community
3) what false stereotypes people outside the community see
4) Any prejudices you have encountered from people outside the metal community
5) Any stereotypes within specific sub-genre's of the metal community.
6) Anything else that will help!!!
I appreciate any help, and beg that you respond as soon as possible as i only have about 30 hours until my presentation. Thanks in advance.

Zach

ps i am posting this on a few different boards to get different perspectives. Thanks again.

A group of people (on the internet or real life) that like the same type of music and help each other out with recommendations, and discuss metal.

1. Gays don't like metal.
2. If you're a prog fan you have a holier than thou attitude.
3. If you're a death metal fan you're an elitist.
4. If you're a black metal fan you're a troll :tickled:
5. If you like power metal you're gay (seriously)

1. Metal is brainless music.
2. If you like metal you're probably in a satanic cult.
3. Metal is just noise.
4. Metal fans are crazy people (that's true to a certain extent, though :D )

Black metal: The only bands that worth a shit are the troo black metal bands (Darkthrone, Emperor, Mayhem ect) not poser shit like Dimmu Borgir or Cradle Of Filth

brutal death metal: You MUST listen to the most brutal shit out there, if you don't you're not brutal enough.

prog metal: You MUST listen to the most technical shit out there :D

If I remember any more stereotypes i'll post them.

Good luck on your project / responses. :cool:

A common interest in this type of music. There is a lot to share, especially recommendations, and also interesting ideas about favorite bands and a general community of people who can truly relate to something that many people around us can't (or are afraid to)
A higher intelligence and awareness with this music than mainstream / other genres. This music is not forced upon us (we don't feel that we should like it just because so many others do..it's a personal choice)
satanic, aggressive, brainless music. Many people can only think "Marilyn Manson or Black Sabbath" But in fact, much of it is highly intellectual and stimulating. The true talent involved offers an incentive for people who are into it to play an instrument or sing. There are many musicians who are metal fans because they recognize true talent which is not so prevalent in other genres.
Me: "He's in a midlife crisis, thinks he's a headbanger" (DUH)
My kids: Prejudice from the long hair and t-shirts they wear to school. Not too many friends because they are "different"
Nope

-A group/association with a common liking of metal, sharing common interests/views, musician or not.
-Dream Theater invented Prog Metal, and are the best prog metal band without any doubt.
-Long hair, evil, dumb, hick and/or redneck, musician or not.
-Hard and heavy music is not really music, but only noise.
-Elitest opinions within prog oriented rock/metal, disregard for life/morals within death/black metal circles.
-THE most annoying thing I find is when someone's beloved band has other bands that sound, and make similar music and is therefore a rip-off or a clone.

A common appreciation for something that most people think is not normal or extraordinary. Nowadays its holding onto the metal we have come to know as a true artform and rejecting things that take away from that. (ie, limp bisquick, the nu metallica), but we also recommend things that enhance it. (Symphony X!)
Most metalheads are also musicians of some sort.
Potheads, jobless, live with parents until they are very old, rebellious, juvenile, disobedient, everyone of us plays guitar or drums in a garage band, satanists, tatoo and body piercing fanatics, masochists, anarchists, terrorists.

4) Any prejudices you have encountered from people outside the metal Oh yeah, tons of prejudice for the long-hair. I was a called a hippie, druggie, gay. But that was all in high school. I've had no negative experiences since then (I also cut my hair off), except for the occasional joke or two.
Nu-metal sucks ass. um...yeah...they are the ones that create those stereotypes I listed above for the rest of us.
You shouldn't be doing this paper. You're a metal head, you're suppossed to rebel and not do your homework.

A group of people that like metal basicly... DUH!... seriously, people who come together to discuss metal and learn more about this wonderful thing
WARNING:THESE ARE FALSE

Prog: snobby elist's - if it's not DT-esque, shreddy or technical enough means it's not good. All think other forms of music are crap.
Death Metal: some sad people with not many morals ect... But I think alot of them are more opened-minded than other sub-genres
Power Metal: Poofters, full-grown men that are too much into LOtR and still live with their mothers.
Black Metal: Mass-murderers, church-burners and complete utter pshyco's!
Stooopit, angry, shame-to-society people
4) Any prejudices you have encountered from people outside the metal Girls have said that I'm a creep after i said that I said Ozzy's music used to be half-decent. er...stupid bitches
Oh shit, see Q1/
State that metal is a intellecual style of music...and then put some Spiral Architect on, and then ask if any one canunderstabd that:D

I find that people assume these things about me when I tell them I like metal:

1. That I'm a depressed goth.
2. That I go in for the pseudo-satanic metal culture.
3. That I only listen to metal.
4. That I'm a big fan of Cannibal Corpse-style death metal (you know, crappy, noisy death metal.)

theodyssey said:

I don't belong to a community, I just listen to the music. :)

theodyssey said:

Metal-people think they're better than anyone else because their music is a supreme being and intellectual and better and blah blah blah...

theodyssey said:

I think there is a vision from the past that all girls in metal are bimbos and dress like sluts and are groupies. Not true here anyway.

theodyssey said:

Well, the usual one's you've already said but there are also people from within who have prejudice, that if you dress normal you're not metal etc. Although many prog-musicians dress like normal people once they've realized it's the music and not ammount of leather that counts.

theodyssey said:
5) Any stereotypes within specific sub-genre's of the metal community

Goths cut themselves and want to die. Favorite song is HIM's "Join me in Death".

theodyssey said:

I don't think metal should be a community. I don't think any genre of music should be a community. It's stupid because everyone should be able to listen to all kinds of music without being forced to look a certain way. Just listen to the music dammit! Nothing more should be needed.