Metalheads HELP!!!!

theodyssey

Best Album of the Year
Dec 13, 2002
Olympia, WA
Visit site
Ok, i have a project due tomorrow that is my final project for the year. IT's for my sociology class, and i am presenting on the metal community, what it's like, and what stereotypes are seen from outside and inside the metal community. What i need from you:
1) What you feel makes metal a community
2) What stereotypes you see within the community
3) what false stereotypes people outside the community see
4) Any prejudices you have encountered from people outside the metal community
5) Any stereotypes within specific sub-genre's of the metal community.
6) Anything else that will help!!!
I appreciate any help, and beg that you respond as soon as possible as i only have about 30 hours until my presentation. Thanks in advance.

Zach

ps i am posting this on a few different boards to get different perspectives. Thanks again.

I´ll answer these questions briefly without any guarantees that it will help you

1) What you feel makes metal a community

going to gigs and festivals and interacting through internet chat forums and speaking to friends and people

2) What stereotypes you see within the community

the hardcore kids, elderly metalheads/punks, progmetalnerds, nu metal & trend ridden metal, evil blackmetal guys

3) what false stereotypes people outside the community see

that they are somehow always drug/alcohol related, are constantly angry at something ;parents, school, misfortunes ... sociopaths and manic depressed, riot starters, anti establisment... just negative image just because they deviate from the "joyful" norm

4) Any prejudices you have encountered from people outside the metal community

probably some of the same as above.. and just that metal is just unorganized noise and chaotic and the musicians don´t know how to play and just rape their instruments

5) Any stereotypes within specific sub-genre's of the metal community.

hmmm.... can´t think... folk orientated metal is my ultimate style