METALLICA And FOO FIGHTERS TO Perform At CHRIS CORNELL Tribute Concert In Los Angeles

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
FOO FIGHTERS and METALLICA are among the all-star cast of musicians who will honor the memory of the late Chris Cornell with a special tribute performance at The Forum in Los Angeles, California. Billed as "I Am The Highway: A Tribute To Chris Cornell", the event will also feature appearances by Cornell's former bandmates in SOUNDGARDEN, AUDIOSLAVE and TEMPLE OF THE DOG, as well as Ryan Adams. "I Am The Highway: A Tribute To Chris Cornell" will be hosted by late-night TV host and comedian Jimmy Kimmel as and will feature other surprise guests. Proceeds from the show will benefit the Epidermolysis Bullosa Medical Research Foundation (EBMRF). Tickets for "I Am The Highway: A Tribute To Chris Cornell" go on sale to the general public this Friday, November 16 at 10 a.m. PST. Cornell was pronounced dead on May 18, 2017 after being found unresponsive in his Detroit hotel room the previous night. SOUNDGARDEN had played a show earlier that evening. The 52-year-old had sedatives and an anxiety drug in his system on the night he died by hanging himself. According to a completed toxicology report released by Michigan's Wayne County Medical Examiner, the drugs didn't contribute to the cause of death. In addition to SOUNDGARDEN, Cornell sang with AUDIOSLAVE and TEMPLE OF THE DOG, while also recording four solo studio albums and one live set on his own. In an interview with Boston's WAAF conducted shortly after Cornell's death, METALLICA frontman James Hetfield said that he was at a loss for words over the singer's passing. "It does make you hug those around you, for sure — bandmates, family that's out here, family at home," he said. "It makes you realize that, you know, there is a darkness that anyone and everyone can find and feel that they're trapped in." Hetfield continued: "And when you're there — and at least I know the depth of my darkness at times — it is difficult when you're in that space to even fathom that there's someone there that can help you or has been through that before. Sometimes you're at such a loss. I can't... obviously can't explain what he was going through, but we all have our darknesses. And check in with each other — check in with each other. Let each other know how you're doing." FOO FIGHTERS frontman Dave Grohl told New Zealand's The Rock FM that "the hardest part" about Cornell's death was the loss of a friend. "Chris was such a beautiful guy, man — he was the sweetest person, he was so talented, he had so much to offer — that it was a real shock to hear that he had gone," he said. Grohl, who lost NIRVANA bandmate Kurt Cobain to suicide, continued: "I think that mental health and depression is something that people should really take seriously," he continued. "And there's a stigma attached to it, which is unfortunate, because just as you take care of yourselves in every other way, I think it's important that people really try to take care of themselves in that way too. And it ain't easy. You know, life's hard."

Continue reading...