METALLICA Announce Orion Music Festival

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
From http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...e-orion-music-festival-20120207#ixzz1loSIKgch

Metallica will bring the noise to Atlantic City this summer with the Orion Music + More Festival, a weekend of music, comedy and culture. Set for June 23rd and 24th in the seaside New Jersey town, the event will feature headlining sets from the band each evening, during which they will perform two of their most enduring albums in their entirety: their 1991 eponymous fifth release ("The Black Album") one night and 1984's Ride the Lightning the other.

The Orion Music + More Festival is the metal group's first foray into festival production. Said drummer Lars Ulrich in a statement, "We've had the idea of doing our own lifestyle festival with lots of diverse music and fun and games for years. Finally this year, all the practical ducks lined up in a row, and we are beyond psyched to bring Orion to our fans, friends and the curious."

So far, 16 rock and metal bands are slated to perform at Orion, including the Arctic Monkeys, Modest Mouse and Best Coast. Weekend passes are $125 for general admission or $225 for VIP access, or $150-$175 in the "early bird" sale beginning February 11th. Fan club presale begins tomorrow at 10 a.m. EST.

"After the most incredible of weeks ever in December 2011 celebrating our 30th anniversary at the Fillmore in San Francisco," continued Ulrich, referencing the band's star-studded residency, "bringing the spirit of that week, the looseness of that week, the possibilities of that week, the fan interactive elements of that week, and the (fill in your own blank here) of that week to a festival setting is so exciting we can hardly contain ourselves."

Initial lineup for the Orion Music + More Festival:
•Arctic Monkeys
•Avenged Sevenfold
•Modest Mouse
•The Gaslight Anthem
•Cage The Elephant
•Fucked Up
•Best Coast
•Hot Snakes
•Titus Andronicus
•Gary Clark Jr.
•Lucero
•Roky Erickson
•The Black Angels
•The Sword
•A Place to Bury Strangers
•Liturgy

Looks like I may end up seeing Metallica afterall...

You have NEVER seen Metallica live?
Regardless of what anyone thinks about Metallica, they are always stellar live.
Their show has gotten a bit stale, in terms of you know exactly what tune is coming up just from 5 seconds of what comes out of James mouth.

You know, when you see lineups like this, I really wonder if the bands were picked for drawing power (To be honest, I know of very few of these bands), or if the band likes these bands.

I have always wondered why throughout all these years, they have never brought out Motorhead, Saxon, King D / MF, Diamond Head, etc, etc out on the road as support.

At least for one of the two opening slots they usually have it would be nice if they offered a slot to a band that was so influential to them.

I know many of you will reply with, "Well, Machine Head or Godsmack or whoever will put more butts in the seats" Metallica does not need support bands to sell out shows. They can certainly afford giving at least one support slot to a band who draws less.

To be honest, bringing along a Saxon or Motorhead could bring back some fans who haven't gone to one of their shows in 15 years or more.

I just wish sometimes they would remember the years when Venom, WASP, or even OZZY brought them out as a solid road warrior young METAL band.

Their show has gotten a bit stale, in terms of you know exactly what tune is coming up just from 5 seconds of what comes out of James mouth.

You know, when you see lineups like this, I really wonder if the bands were picked for drawing power (To be honest, I know of very few of these bands), or if the band likes these bands.

I have always wondered why throughout all these years, they have never brought out Motorhead, Saxon, King D / MF, Diamond Head, etc, etc out on the road as support.

At least for one of the two opening slots they usually have it would be nice if they offered a slot to a band that was so influential to them.

I know many of you will reply with, "Well, Machine Head or Godsmack or whoever will put more butts in the seats" Metallica does not need support bands to sell out shows. They can certainly afford giving at least one support slot to a band who draws less.

To be honest, bringing along a Saxon or Motorhead could bring back some fans who haven't gone to one of their shows in 15 years or more.

I just wish sometimes they would remember the years when Venom, WASP, or even OZZY brought them out as a solid road warrior young METAL band.

Yes, I've never seen Metallica before. Them playing Ride the Lightning in its entirety may be enough of a reason to go, though.

As far as I'm concerned, the bands were handpicked by Metallica's management and the band members. Now, do you really think they have to choose bands that will "draw" people? I've never seen them like I said, but I was under the impression they still sell out easily?

Yeah, I don't think I have ever seen them where it wasn't sold out, or at least 90% capacity.

Well, any band can certainly do whatever they want.
Of course they don't need any band to help sell tickets.
It's all about the perception in the eye's of the public that they are hip to what's "scene" these days.

While I hate to say it, Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park were more suitable openers for Metallica than most bands on this bill aside from a few.

Anyhow, these performances sound sweet! There are many great songs on the BLACK album rarely played live, and I do not believe the song ESCAPE has EVER been performed live. If this were in Chicago, I would certainly consider attending, regardless of the rest of the lineup

I've seen Metallica three times. They were great each time. I wouldn't do it again though. This line-up is incredible though, some of the top names in the indie rock scene, some great punk bands, The Sword (who is incredible live) and two shitty bands.

Yes, I've never seen Metallica before. Them playing Ride the Lightning in its entirety may be enough of a reason to go, though.

As far as I'm concerned, the bands were handpicked by Metallica's management and the band members. Now, do you really think they have to choose bands that will "draw" people? I've never seen them like I said, but I was under the impression they still sell out easily?

Usually in terms of their tours, I would say yes, it doesn't matter. However, this is a festival, so I'm assuming a much larger venue so they probably need some kind of drawing power. I gotta say though, this is a very strange mix of bands. Not saying it's bad but most of these are not bands I would've expected to be on a first-ever Metallica festival (outside of The Sword).

i've seen metallica multiple times...1986,89 and 2 times in the 2000s....they lost a lot from the early times

i've seen metallica multiple times...1986,89 and 2 times in the 2000s....they lost a lot from the early times

Well, of course.

Still though, just like KISS, regardless of what someone might think of them today or their credibility, I would still recommend anyone who has never seen them to do so if you have the slightest interest.

While it might not be as fast and furious as it was back in the day, they still do play very well. And if you have never seen them then you can't make the complaint that I have done for the past few years that the setlist is stale.

Though BLACK album and RIDE in its entirety would be a definite ticket purchase for me.