Metallica Fans........Uhhgg

Mar 28, 2003
Michigan, USA
What up guys. I just recently joined the DT forum, and there are so many Metallica fans over there its not even funny. They had all these ridiculous threads about DT vs Metallica, Megadeath vs Metallica, Metallica vs Limp Bizkit. I guess thats why we are over here. Like you guys said before, Symphony X is intelligent music for intelligent people.

P.s. Don't take this as a bash to everyone on this forum who happens to like some of Metallica's stuff. This is to the people over at the DT forum who just worship Metallica. Its like come on guys, look outside the Metallica box for once. Crap man.

Dream Symphony said:
What up guys. I just recently joined the DT forum, and there are so many Metallica fans over there its not even funny. They had all these ridiculous threads about DT vs Metallica, Megadeath vs Metallica, Metallica vs Limp Bizkit. I guess thats why we are over here. Like you guys said before, Symphony X is intelligent music for intelligent people.

I don't think, this forum is much different. We have a lot of Anti-DT postings here and the majority of the threads here deal with "name your favourite prog band/guitarist/song/guitar solo etc.". I don't think there is a lot of intelligence here. There isn't even a lot of Symphony X talking going on here. Unfortunately... :ill:

Hahaha, how can they compare Metallica with Dream Theater?!? I like the music of Metallica a lot, but you can't say Metallica is better then DT.
A year ago I like metallica so much, I listened to them all day long and I wanted to know everything about them. I didn't listen to other bands. Until I met one of my friends who told me about Dream Theater, Symphony X and other great bands. I don't listen to Metallica a lot these days :p .

Metallica isn't really objectively better/worse than Symphony X, they're two separate subgenres of metal as a whole. Metallica is/was a thrash band, later a heavy metal band, and later yet a bluesy hard rock/heavy metal thing (I like the Loads, but do not consider them metal). Symphony X is progressive metal, which is much more like Dream Theater. However, each of these bands is unique enough that it's very hard to compare them. The closest comparison that was stated in this thread, I'd say, is Metallica vs. Megadeth. Both are/were excellent thrash bands (and half-brothers), but even as a big fan of both, I really have trouble comparing the two, altough they have interesting parallels.

I don't agree that Symphony X is more or less intelligent than Metallica. "Ride The Lightning", "Master of Puppets", and "...And Justice For All" are intelligent albums. SyX is more technical, but that doesn't mean that the music is more intelligent. So stop being a power metal elitist.

I don't agree about Symphony X being similar to Dream Theater. SyX are a power metal band with influences form progressive metal and Dream Theater are a prog-metal band with influences from 70s prog bands, especially Rush and Yes.

I don't agree that Symphony X is more or less intelligent than Metallica. "Ride The Lightning", "Master of Puppets", and "...And Justice For All" are intelligent albums. SyX is more technical, but that doesn't mean that the music is more intelligent. So stop being a power metal elitist

Finally someone that makes some sense, props to you \m/

Lord Of The Snow said:
I don't think, this forum is much different. We have a lot of Anti-DT postings here and the majority of the threads here deal with "name your favourite prog band/guitarist/song/guitar solo etc.". I don't think there is a lot of intelligence here. There isn't even a lot of Symphony X talking going on here. Unfortunately... :ill:

I'm suprised an intelligent person such as yourself hasn't recognised the many intellectual minds on this board. It makes me think only one thing. And that is it may be that you aren't quite as intelligent as you think you are.

ClarifyAmbiguity said:
Metallica isn't really objectively better/worse than Symphony X, they're two separate subgenres of metal as a whole. Metallica is/was a thrash band, later a heavy metal band, and later yet a bluesy hard rock/heavy metal thing (I like the Loads, but do not consider them metal). Symphony X is progressive metal, which is much more like Dream Theater. However, each of these bands is unique enough that it's very hard to compare them. The closest comparison that was stated in this thread, I'd say, is Metallica vs. Megadeth. Both are/were excellent thrash bands (and half-brothers), but even as a big fan of both, I really have trouble comparing the two, altough they have interesting parallels.

Although removing personal feelings from opinion and viewing a thing as subjective is in most people an impossibility. I as well as many others do not subscribe to the idea that all things are relative. If it takes a musician or a sound engineer to seperate the best from the even better, then so be it. There are in this world good, bad, right wrong, etc. It doesn't take great intelligence to decide this, only common sense.

Factory X said:
Depends on your definition of "intelligent".
Lyrically, this Metallica work is some of the best...It's amazing how James Hetfield was able to write so much about things he had no first-hand account of:
"Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" - Mental institutions
"Master of Puppets" - Cociane addiction
"Fade to Black" - suicide
"Disposable Heroes" - War, control
...And Justice for All - Freedom, justice, control, etc.

Deep stuff, and it just plain rocks hard.

Firstly, I post over at the dreamtheater.net board, and those threads about metallica v.s whoever are mainly made up by trolls. The mods haven't been around lately and there have been an excess of shit posts.

And you can't compare a message board like DT.net with thousands of posters, versus this board saying, oh this board is better blah, blah, blah...with that many people of course you are going to get stupid threads and posts. There is, however no reason for you to think that we are below you, and/or WORSHIP Metallica, because it's not entirely true. Read into something before ranting about it buddy

Peace

Bassmasta said:
Firstly, I post over at the dreamtheater.net board, and those threads about metallica v.s whoever are mainly made up by trolls. The mods haven't been around lately and there have been an excess of shit posts.

And you can't compare a message board like DT.net with thousands of posters, versus this board saying, oh this board is better blah, blah, blah...with that many people of course you are going to get stupid threads and posts. There is, however no reason for you to think that we are below you, and/or WORSHIP Metallica, because it's not entirely true. Read into something before ranting about it buddy

Peace

Your right. I was new to the DT forum, and I just didn't expect a thread like DT vs Metallica. Also I made this thread early this morning and thought about it later and was like, why did I do that again? Oh yeah because I don't like Metallica, and some people do. Hmm, I just need to realize that not everyone is going to dislike them like I do.

Sorry it took so long to say something guys. I was wrapped up in a religious debate over at the DT forum. I was raised in church my whole life, so I had a lot to say.

Hm, I think one big difference between SX and Metallica is that SX actually know how to play their instruments. But of course, that is not very important, especially if you like prog... :D

I've noticed that many people who like Metallica have also discovered DT. But it does feel like they're throwing dirt on the band because I don't think the two should be mentioned in the same sentance. It's like "my favorite bands are Metallica, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and Dream Theater". It just doesn't sound right.

But, as always, everyone is entitled to their opinion and taste in music, ME ALSO. I don't think I'm better because I don't listen to Metallica (because I used to), just that I don't like prog-wannabies.

Exactly!
I have been tired of The whole Metallica's St.Bullshit ploding up EVERY forum I go to. This one is probably the best one in that aspect ( in that there are not many metallica) So lets not let it get out of control.

ClarifyAmbiguity said:
Lyrically, this Metallica work is some of the best...It's amazing how James Hetfield was able to write so much about things he had no first-hand account of:
"Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" - Mental institutions
"Master of Puppets" - Cociane addiction
"Fade to Black" - suicide
"Disposable Heroes" - War, control
...And Justice for All - Freedom, justice, control, etc.

Deep stuff, and it just plain rocks hard.

[color=#AOEOOA]If you want to know James actually writes about smaller things which happened to him and pushes them to its limit. Fade To Black is about James losing a favourite Amp he had.

Plus I'd say Megadeth's lyrics are more intelligent than Metallica with Holy Wars, Symphony Of Destruction etc.[/color]

I wouldn't call Metallica's lyrics much more intelligent than Avril Lavigne's. They just cover it up with two extra fancy words. Beneath it is the same old... stuff. If you want intelligent lyrics, listen to Rush.

ok i want to have my 2 cents heard.

Metallica WAS godly, especially Ride the Lightning. The lyrics were exceptional and the music was cool. After Justice Metallica started going downhill. the Black album had a couple good songs, but it seemed like they were making music for the masses rather than their original kind of music.

As of recent metallica - with reload there were two good songs imo - fuel and Fixxxer. But I heard St. Anger once on the radio and just about cried. This is what they became.

They became too cushy with all their money from the biz. They ruled when they were starving and pissed. That to me is the reason why underground music is better.

With the release of St. Anger, Metallica has lost any ground they may have held in the artistic world, THEY SUCK, and finally, everyone sees it.