METALLICA's LARS ULRICH: 'We Keep It Fresh By Continuously Reinventing What We Do'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich was interviewed by CBS on the red carpet at the 56th annual Grammy Awards, which was held last night (January 26) at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. You can watch the chat below. Asked about METALLICA's performance of its classic song "One" with Chinese concert pianist Lang Lang at last night's ceremony, Ulrich said: "[Lang Lang] just so dynamic and he has such a great kind of flamboyant and outgoing energy, and he's really, really cool — he's a really nice guy, which helps — and I think it's just a perfect mashup. Our manager, Peter Mensch, suggested it. We played in China this year, we did a bunch of shows in August, and that was really, really fun. So there's 1.2 billion people in China and we're gonna see if we can reach every single one of them." Ulrich also spoke about the key ingredient in what keeps METALLICA fresh and exciting more than thirty years after the band's inception. "I guess we keep it fresh by continuously, sort of, reinventing what we do," he said. "We did a movie last year and we do mashups like this. So if you get a chance to always, sort of, do different things all the time, it's really, really fun. I think, for us, the idea of, kind of, record, tour, record, tour, record, tour, that's a little dated. And when we get a chance to do all these different experiences, then it, sort of, keeps it fresh for us." METALLICA's feature film "Metallica Through The Never" will be released tomorrow (Tuesday, January 28) on Blu-ray, 3-D Blu-ray, DVD and digital. The film came out last September in 3D IMAX but earned less than $4 million in its U.S. box office run. METALLICA is currently working on its 10th studio album. The band will emerge next summer for a European tour on which each night's set list will be chosen online by fans attending the gig. The band's traditional 18-song set will include the 17 top voted songs along with a brand new track. The tour, dubbed the "Metallica by Request" tour, will kick off on May 28 at the Sonisphere festival in Helsinki, Finland and travel across Europe through July 11.

More...