METALLICA's ROBERT TRUJILLO, KIRK HAMMETT Perform HASSISEN KONE's 'Rappiolla' In Helsinki...

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Robert Trujillo and Kirk Hammett played a cover version of the the song "Rappiolla", originally written and recorded by the '80s Finnish rock band HASSISEN KONE, during METALLICA's May 11 concert at Hartwall Arena in Helsinki, Finland. Professionally filmed video footage of their performance can be seen below. "Rappiolla" was part of the fun and unusual feature METALLICA added to its shows on the band's current European tour: at each stop, Hammett and Trujillo have been covering a track by local musical heroes — often choosing songs that are far removed from the band's traditional metal sound. The "doodles," as the band refers to them in their set lists, have been showing up right before Trujillo's solo on "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth". While most of the songs are known primarily in their countries, a few are known in the U.S. and are hard rock classics, such as SCORPIONS' "Rock You Like a Hurricane", ACCEPT's "Balls To The Wall" and EUROPE's "The Final Countdown". But the duo have also performed out-of-the-box cuts like ABBA's "Dancing Queen", "Take On Me" by A-HA, FALCO's "Rock Me Amadeus" and the Italian standard "Volare". On an earlier European run, Hammett and Trujillo covered OASIS's "Don't Look Back In Anger" while performing in Manchester, and TRUST's "Antisocial", which ANTHRAX also recorded in 1988, during a concert in Paris. Drummer Lars Ulrich told The Pulse Of Radio that METALLICA has not played the same set two nights in a row for years. "We change up the set list every night," he said. "I mean that's been part of our m.o. for about 13, 14 years. You know, you're on these really long runs and you're playing the same set list every night, and you're just sort of like, 'We've got to shake it up a little bit, if not for anybody else, just for our own sanity.' So since then it's been a personal pride of mine that METALLICA hasn't played the same set list in about 14 years." METALLICA played 24 shows in Europe since early February and is now scheduled to take a three-month break from the road. The band recently announced the details of the 2018-2019 North American leg of of its "WorldWired" tour in support of the group's latest album, "Hardwired… To Self-Destruct". The 34-date trek kicks off September 2 in Madison, Wisconsin and runs through March 13 in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Each ticket purchase will be accompanied by a physical or digital copy of "Hardwired… To Self-Destruct".

Continue reading...