METALLICA's ROBERT TRUJILLO Says His 'Crab Walk' Evolved From Skateboarding And Snowb

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In a recent interview with Muscle & Fitness magazine, METALLICA bassist Robert Trujillo was asked how he is able to do his infamous "crab walk" while performing with the band on stage. "I'm a pretty avid surfer — I try to surf as much as possible," he replied. "And I grew up skateboarding and snowboarding. So, I think my natural style is related to some of the board sports I've done over the years; and then that kind of evolved into this thing."He continued: "I can remember the first time I did that crab walk was actually with Ozzy [Osbourne], when I played in his band back in '96 at a show in Las Vegas."Trujillo also spoke about what his training looks like and how he adjusts it when he is touring."I have a trainer up by the studio in the NorCal region, and he'll come down two weeks before a tour," he said. "We get into two-a-days, doing workouts twice daily, and then when he's not around, I do a stair workout. "The stairs are good for me, because I can get a lot done in 45 minutes. It's about 200 stairs, up in the mountains, and I do push-ups between sets. So, let's say, when I get three quarters of the way up, I'll do 20 push-ups; then when I get to the bottom, I'll do 20 more. "When I joined METALLICA, I found that using weights inhibited my level of dexterity, and I'd lock up — there's a lot of fast playing in this band."

More...