flu boy

Waffle Hut
Oct 20, 2003
Waffle Hut
Visit site
Production: 6 out of 6
Songwriting: 5 out of 6
Musicianship: 6 out of 6

Zero Hour has returned to deliver their 5th endeavor of insanely dense progressive metal, and it's a real titan, folks...

Simply put, Dark Deceiver is gonna char your fuckin' bones to cinder. I honestly don't recall the last time I heard a progressive metal album as dense, dark and downright menacing as this killer slab right here. Perhaps never, quite honestly. 2006's Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond found the band steering their sights in this general direction, but this album handily eclipses that record's contentiousness with nine tracks primarily bent on punishment through piles of machine-gunned riffing, jackhammered rhythms and loads-and-loads-and-loads of eargasmic bass and guitar break-outs that truly flex the Tipton brothers' technical prowess. Nearly every tune flashes moments of what I can only think to call a "Meshuggah-esque" mechanical heaviness, but the core is still undoubtedly cast from the Alder-era Fates Warning die that stamped out No Exit 20-years ago.

And when I say this album's dense, I mean it's Dark Matter dense, people: of the ilk that could very well cause your room to implode after you hit the ol' play button the first time around. I'd also recommend you not attempt to digest this sucker from start to finish during your inaugural spin(s). Such folly would be akin to eating an entire loaf of German dark rye bread in one sitting: it's tasty, but it's gonna leave you groaning on the floor, completely immobile. Instead, let your brain dissect a couple tunes here and there just to help get the gray-matter familiar with the formula, then consume the entire work for maximum enjoyment. In my case, I quickly found this record to be nearly irresistible once the complex tendrils eventually wrapped around my brainstem.

Of course Dark Deceiver isn't only about intensity (and let me just interject the following: it ain't just the Tipton brothers delivering the blows here, friends. Mike Guy, drummer since day one, also applies a dexterous fierceness on this record...and quite keenly, I might add). The album's savagery is nicely tempered through ample measures of more mellow passages that do a wonderful job at spotlighting the vocals of Chris Salinas. His talents were debuted on the band's previous record, but this time around he sounds even more comfortable, and he gets ample opportunity to show off his notably wide range during the epic 12-minute "Inner Spirit", the more relaxed "Resurrection" and throughout "The Temple Within." For reference sake, Salinas is undoubtedly a student from the Alder/Tate School of Vocalists, and I can assure you he graduated at the very top of his class. I'd say he's one of the better progressive metal vocalists currently in the business.

I tip my hat to the saintly Mrs. Tipton -- she must have endured a great deal of pain when she birthed young Jasun and Troy from Zero Hour. Not only are these dudes identical twins, but I can also imagine they shot directly outta the womb with guitar and bass firmly in tow, based on their brain-bending musical faculties. And they've surrounded themselves with two other players that round out the Zero Hour machine perfectly. In other words, all the necessary pieces to the puzzle are in place, and Dark Deceiver is exactly the kind of album to be expected as a result of this: pure excellence. Progressive metal album of the year? Quite possibly.

What an awesome review and thank you flu boy for putting this up on the forum...YOU RULE!! I was told about this last-night from the MADMAN. I will add some more reviews up in just a minute.

METAL!!!

Jasun

Both these reviews are from some very well know German webzines.

http://www.visions-underground.com/de/cd-review/zero-hour-dark-deceiver.php

Zero Hour "Dark Deceiver"

Und sie sind immer für so manche Überraschung gut! Die Herren von Zero Hour scheinen sich an „Dark Deceiver“ experimentierfreudig aus getobt zu haben. Die Wurzeln in die Sie einschlagen, sind eindeutig dem progressiven Metal zu zuordnen und bewahren mit Ihrem neuen Stoff auch Jazz-Einflüsse, die Garant für eine Abwechslung sind.
Die packenden Riffs gehen sehr schnell ins Ohr, was Gitarrist Jasun Tipton zu verdanken ist, der an seiner Klampfe gute Arbeit leistet. Wow! Der Sound ist von amerikanischer Herkunft geprägt und versprüht eine außergewöhnliche Duftmarke, die aus den Boxen des Hörers radikal auszubrechen vermag. So sind „Inner Spirit“ und „the Temple within“ gehobene Rausschmeißer, zugleich auch Alleskönner. Speziell haben sie mit der außergewöhnlichen und komplexen Instrumental-Abteilung, erfrischendes Futter, dass in keiner Schublade zu verfrachten ist. Gerade die Vocals basieren auf hohem Niveau und verbreiten den Lyrics entsprechenden Mitsing-Chorus, dass echte Freude im Prog.-Haushalt garantiert ist. Das soll Chris Salinas erstmal einer nachmachen. Obwohl er Eigenständigkeit besitzt, vergleiche ich Ihn immer mit Russel Allen von Symphony X. Keine Ahnung warum dass so ist, aber die beiden haben was gemeinsam... Nur als Nebenbei: Russel Allen ist eine explodierende Maschine. Deshalb ist es festzuhalten und zu erwähnen, dass die Band für Kreativität und entsprechendem Spannungsbogen steht. Ich hoffe, dass ich in nächster Zeit die Truppe mit ihrem neuen Silberling mir Live auch noch zu Gemüte führen kann.

Tracklist
1. Power to Believe
2. Dark Deceiver
3. Inner Spirit ***
4. Resurrection
5. Tendonitis
6. The Temple within ***
7. Lies
8. The Passion Of Words
9. Severed Angel Punkte: 9/10

Markus/V.U.
Label: Sensory Records
Anspieltipps: *****

http://www.powermetal.de/review/review-11861.html

Review: Zero Hour - Dark DeceiverZero Hour - Dark Deceiver - 1 Review
Release: 23. 5.2008
Label: Sensory/Alive
Stil: Progressive Metal
Homepage: http://www.zerohourweb.com

Power To Believe
Dark Deceiver
Inner Spirit
Resurrection
Tendonitis
The Temple Within
Lies
The Passion Of Words
Severed Angel
Review von Peter Kubaschk
Es darf wieder gefrickelt werden! Für Fans der Ahornblätter kann ich es diesmal wirklich kurz machen, da es keinen Wechsel am Mikro gab und die gewohnte Qualität selbstredend erreicht wird. Ihr könnt damit genau jetzt aufhören zu lesen und den Silberling besorgen. Vertraut mir!

Aber natürlich muss und will ich hier noch ein bisschen ins Detail gehen. Wie zu erwarten, gibt es auch auf "Dark Deceiver" keine großen Soundmodifikationen. Bands wie ZERO HOUR sind selten genug; und so ist es gut, wenn die Tipton-Brüder ihr bewährtes Rezept immer nur um Nuancen verändern. Daher gibt es auch heuer wieder brettharten, mit zig Breaks durchsetzten, grandios produzierten, progressiven Metal zu hören, der jedem Freund von WATCHTOWER, SPIRAL ARCHITECT, aber auch technischeren NEVERMORE zu ekstatischem Zucken und kellertief stehenden Unterkiefern verhelfen sollte. Die Gitarren- und Rhythmusarbeit sind schlicht Wahnsinn. Hört einfach mal das total coole Instrumental 'Severed Angel' an und ihr wisst, was Wahnsinn bedeutet. Dazu brilliert Chris Salinas mit glänzenden, sehr voluminösen Vocals, die in den immer wieder eingestreuten ruhigen Momenten mehr als einmal an Ray Alder (FATES WARNING) erinnern. Und genau diese Passagen sind es, die für ständige Gänsehaut sorgen. Sei es beim Anfangs etwas anstrengenden 'Inner Spirit'; einem zwölfminütigen Monster, das in den ersten Minuten die wohl akrobatischste Gitarrenarbeit der Bandgeschichte verzeichnen düfte, nur um in der zweiten Hälfte mit herrlichen leisen Augenblicken zu verzücken, oder sei es bei einem atmosphärischen Song wie 'Resurrection' oder dem hochmelodischem Teil bei 'The Temple Within', wo die Tipton-Brüder ihrem Sänger Chris Salinas mehr als sonst die Bühne überlassen.

Die so entstehende Dynamik ist es auch, die den sowieso schon spannenden Nummern den entscheidenden Kick gibt. Neben den bereits genannten Songs gilt das vor allem für den Opener 'Power To Believe', bei dem man bei zukünftigen Live-Auftritten auch wunderbar das Publikum einbeziehen kann. Lasst euch überraschen!

Anyway, da es am Songwriting, dem Artwork und der Produktion einmal mehr absolut nix zu mäkeln gibt, ist natürlich auch "Dark Deceiver" eine absolute Pflichtübung für alle Fans und solche, die es werden sollten, geworden und dürfte bei mir und diversen Redaktionskollegen wieder im Jahrespoll auftauchen. Bleibt nur die Hoffnung, dass es ZERO HOUR auch endlich mal auf eine halbwegs vernünftige Deutschlandtour schaffen und so für bundesweit ausgerenkte Kauleisten sorgen. Es wird Zeit Jungs, es wird mächtig Zeit!

Anspieltipps: Power To Believe, Resurrection, The Temple Within, Severed Angel
Peter Kubaschk [16.5.2008]

I should add these couple of great reviews on www.amazon.com

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Deceiver-Zero-Hour/dp/B0015673KS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1211484147&sr=8-1[/ame]

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
wow, zero hour hit their peak!, May 6, 2008
By Michael A. Carra "mike carra" (bronx, new york) - See all my reviews

I have been listening to this album ALLOT sinse it arrived at my house eairly last weak. Absolutely mind blowing stuff....

I think Zero Hour hit their peak on this album. Its just simply such a strong album. They have the typical Zero hour sound on here, but its heavyer, and fresher. It has allot of similarities to their last album "specs of pictures burnt beyond", but the songs seem to blend much better.
The songs are extremely progressive and technical. At times its simply scary....but prog fans will love it, And I am sure allot of open minded metal heads will like this album too. Jasun Tipton is one of the most original and talented guitarist's of today. Its very rare to find such a fresh sounding guitarist these days. The way he plays all those sweeps so tastefully is simply amazing. Troy tipton is one of the best bass players i have ever heard. he is just sick...i never heard much bass players pull off sweeps, but somehow he does! Mike Guy is a amazing drummer. His timeing is flawless and just simply sick. Amazing damn drummer! Vocalist Chris Salinas really shows what he can do on here. He has an amazing range and a Great voice.

so what we have here is a progressive metal album that also gets very melodic. it'll go from heavy choppy crazy riffs and shredding madness to really nice smooth melodic bliss in very nice transitions. its really an album worth listening to. quality band right here!
Comment | Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

Yet Another Fantastic Progressive Statement From Zero Hour, May 17, 2008
By Joel Israel "Professional Shark Wrestler" (Cedar City, UT United States) - See all my reviews

Zero Hour, composed primarily of the brothers Jasun and Troy Tipton on guitar and bass, have been one of metal's best kept secrets over the last few years. Composing intricate, heavy and progressive metal music which manages to sound pretty original in today's music scene is no small feat-but to pull off an entire string of simply superb albums in a row as these guys have done is simply amazing. Add "Dark Deceiver" to their already impressive body of work; this is a hard-hitting, intelligent, technical, and surprisingly tasteful and nuanced progressive metal release.

For fans of the band, this may be even better than "Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond", while maintaining the complexity and heaviness of that release. Chris Salinas returns again, hopefully cementing his status as the official Zero Hour vocalist. His work is just as solid this time around, and he is a welcome addition to the band. As for the brothers Tipton....wow! Just when you thought these guys couldn't get any tighter and more focused as a band they impress you yet again. One difference between this and older ZH material is the proliferation of melodic, progressive tapped bass lines and textures....Troy Tipton has always been talented, but he takes it to a new level on this disc, to great effect. There is also a fun track ("Tendonitis") where he shows off his chops in an intense, fluid solo that could give Jaco Pastorius a run for his money. Jasun's guitar playing is just as rhythmically impressive as always, and some great experimentation and meolodic classical-style interludes break up his super-aggressive metal playing on this disc. I would describe the "sound" of this album for fans as somewhere between the all-out shredding of "Specs" and the more cinematic approach of "A Fragile Mind". This duo remain one of the most talented in the progressive metal scene.

For those new to Zero Hour, this is as good as any place to start. Expect to be hooked by the rhythmic intensity of this band, the talent of the bassist, and the vocal prowess of the singer, who is both capable of subtlety and all-out wailing. Lyrically, this band is very intelligent and surprisingly positive, despite the "dark" artwork and album title. Zero Hour albums usually revolve around psychological/spiritual themes of self-actualization and redemption through the struggle of life in modern society. Fantastic....check it out!

Yet Another Fantastic Progressive Statement From Zero Hour, May 17, 2008
By Joel Israel "Professional Shark Wrestler" (Cedar City, UT United States) - See all my reviews

Zero Hour, composed primarily of the brothers Jasun and Troy Tipton on guitar and bass, have been one of metal's best kept secrets over the last few years. Composing intricate, heavy and progressive metal music which manages to sound pretty original in today's music scene is no small feat-but to pull off an entire string of simply superb albums in a row as these guys have done is simply amazing. Add "Dark Deceiver" to their already impressive body of work; this is a hard-hitting, intelligent, technical, and surprisingly tasteful and nuanced progressive metal release.

For fans of the band, this may be even better than "Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond", while maintaining the complexity and heaviness of that release. Chris Salinas returns again, hopefully cementing his status as the official Zero Hour vocalist. His work is just as solid this time around, and he is a welcome addition to the band. As for the brothers Tipton....wow! Just when you thought these guys couldn't get any tighter and more focused as a band they impress you yet again. One difference between this and older ZH material is the proliferation of melodic, progressive tapped bass lines and textures....Troy Tipton has always been talented, but he takes it to a new level on this disc, to great effect. There is also a fun track ("Tendonitis") where he shows off his chops in an intense, fluid solo that could give Jaco Pastorius a run for his money. Jasun's guitar playing is just as rhythmically impressive as always, and some great experimentation and meolodic classical-style interludes break up his super-aggressive metal playing on this disc. I would describe the "sound" of this album for fans as somewhere between the all-out shredding of "Specs" and the more cinematic approach of "A Fragile Mind". This duo remain one of the most talented in the progressive metal scene.

For those new to Zero Hour, this is as good as any place to start. Expect to be hooked by the rhythmic intensity of this band, the talent of the bassist, and the vocal prowess of the singer, who is both capable of subtlety and all-out wailing. Lyrically, this band is very intelligent and surprisingly positive, despite the "dark" artwork and album title. Zero Hour albums usually revolve around psychological/spiritual themes of self-actualization and redemption through the struggle of life in modern society. Fantastic....check it out!

BRETT RULES!!! Here's a couple more. Theres another awesome review but haveing a hard pulling of the web...METAL!! It's on Heavy Metal Addiction but has this (1 potentially harmful website is marked on this page). So I thought it would be best to not put it up.

http://www.rocktimes.de/gesamt/xyz/zero_hour/dark_deceiver.html

Zero Hour / Dark Deceiver
Spielzeit: 44:43
Medium: CD
Label: Sensory/The Laser's Edge, 2008
Stil: Prog Metal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review vom 20.05.2008

Christoph Segebard

Hochtechnische, teilweise sehr aggressive und verquere Progressive Metal-Bands haben mittlerweile eine kleine Tradition, die auf Bands wie Psychotic Waltz zurückgeht. Heute sind es Bands wie Spiral Architect - oder eben abermals Zero Hour, die schon mit ihrem fünften Album zuschlagen.
Ein kurzer Abriss der Bandgeschichte ist im Review zum Album Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond nachzulesen - wir stürzen uns jetzt direkt ins Geschehen. …Und 'hineinstürzen' ist das richtige Wort, denn Zero Hour verlangt wirklich die volle Aufmerksamkeit des Hörers.
Mein lieber Scholli, ist "Dark Deceiver" ein Pfund. Schon beim ersten Titel "Power To Believe" ist klar: Das ist nichts zum Nebenbei-Hören. Vertrackter und verschachtelter geht's kaum, so dass man selten eine Atempause bekommt, und dazu kommt noch der extrem düstere Unterton, den man von Musik und Artwork bekommt. Ein Werk, das also in vielerlei Hinsicht nicht mit sich spaßen lässt.
Glücklicherweise gibt es sie, die eben herbeigesehnten Atempausen, wenn auch nur spärlich. Wie zum Beispiel bei "Inner Spirit", bei dessen ruhigen Parts sich die Protagonisten selbst zu langweilen scheinen. Nein - das Gefrickel liegt ihnen mehr, und freilich stürzen sie sich anschließend sofort wieder in ihre haarsträubenden Eskapaden.
Dabei erfreulich: Sie tun dies zwar mit einem technischen Können, das die Weltklasse schon längst hinter sich gelassen hat, und lassen auch keine (wohlgemerkt sinnvolle) Frickelgelegenheit aus, aber man merkt ihnen an, dass sie nicht die Band sind, die sie sind, weil sie die Besten sein wollen. Gleiches gilt für die Komplexität. Begibt man sich in die Hände von Zero Hour, dann hört man wirklich progressive Musik, denn man hat nie einen Schimmer, wohin die Reise als nächstes geht.
Dazu kommt, dass die sehr dunkle Stimmung Einen richtig mitreißt. Ein Blick auf das Cover im typischen 'gruselig-aber-nachdenklich'-Stil und dazu noch die Musik; schon fühle ich mich in eine düstere Zukunft mit hohen Gebäuden und dunklen, nebligen Straßen versetzt. Auch, wenn das wohl gar nicht zum Thema gehört.
Die Band ist eingespielt - sie musizieren seit ihrem letzten Album in gleicher Besetzung, und das hört man. Die Tipton-Zwillinge Jasun und Troy präsentieren sich in überirdischer Form, und Sänger Chris Salinas ist eine schöne, nicht zu extreme und sehr abwechslungsreiche Mischung aus Geoff Tate und Buddy Lackey.
Progger: Wenn ihr die eingangs genannten Bands mögt - hier zugreifen. Das könnte euer Album des Jahres sein. …Alle Anderen: Achtung; diese Scheibe ist mit Vorsicht zu genießen, denn sie bestraft den Hörer sofort, wenn seine Konzentration nur ein wenig sinkt - dann wirkt diese Art von Musik nämlich ungeheuer stressig und nervig.
Wer sich also mit sowas nicht anfreunden kann, der sollte über "Dark Deceiver" nicht mal nachdenken. …Nein, auch nicht als Mutprobe. Und wer es schafft, sich darauf einzulassen und der tollen Symbiose aus Musik und Atmosphäre erliegt, fragt sich irgendwann: 'Sind das Menschen?'
9 von 10 RockTimes-Uhren
Line-up:
Jasun Tipton (guitars)
Troy Tipton (bass)
Mike Guy (drums)
Chris Salinas (vocals)

http://fade.to/powermetal

Zero Hour
Dark Deceiver
Rating

Style: Progressive Metal
Release date: April 29th 2008

When Jasun and Troy Tipton blesses the progressive metal community with new creations people stops up, listens and tries to take in the complexity, technical level and writing skills of the two. The line-up is completed by Mike Guy and new guy; Chris Salinas, who is now fully integrated in the bands sound on this, his second Zero Hour album.

And the sound wouldn't be so full and rich without Dino Alden, who has been an important part of their sound all the way. Their diverse and extremely technical style of progressive metal would not have been so impressive if it wasn't for the excellent sound Dino Alden has provided them with once more. Troy's bass guitar sound is crisp, up-front and straight in your face like on no other album I've ever heard - awesome.

'Dark Deceiver' is a little darker and more technical than their latest album 'Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond', but they are never stepping out of the confines of their well defined soundscape. They continue with the very basic instrumentation, which they re-introduced on 'Specs', but it is often hard to believe the complexity they create with so few means.

'Dark Deceiver' takes time to precipitate, but once you've grown familiar with the creations you will discover another successful layer on the musical universe of Zero Hour.

Another great review brought to my attention.

http://www.stormbringer.at/reviews.php?id=2748
Redaktionswertung:
Userwertung: ohne Bewertung
VÖ Datum: 28. April 2008
Genre: Prog Metal
Label: Sensory Records
Info: ZERO HOUR Homepage
ZERO HOUR @ MySpace.com
Laufzeit: 44:45
Kaufen: Amazon | eBay

Trackliste...
1. Power to Believe
2. Dark Deceiver
3. Inner Spirit
4. Resurrection
5. Tendonitis
6. The Temple Within
7. Lies
8. The Passion of Words
9. Severed Angel

Line Up
Vocals: Chris Salinas
Guitars: Jasun Tipton
Bass: Troy Tipton
Drums: Mike Guy
Review...
Zero Hour. Die Stunde Null. Genau bei dieser beginnt bei mir auch der Erstkontakt mit dieser Band – vorher war mir nur der Name ein Begriff, weder aber die vorangegangenen vier Studioalben noch der hervorragende Ruf, den die Amiband innehat(te)…
Schon beim Anblick des düsteren Coverartworks war klar, dass hier keine Drachentöter / Eierkneif / plüschige Keyboardduell - Fanatiker am Werk sind, sondern gestandene Musiker. Und das hört man auf „Dark Deceiver“ zu jeder Sekunde. Allein die abgefahrene Bassarbeit spielt hier mal so nebenbei 99,8 Prozent der Hobbymusikanten die sich in der Szene rumtreiben an die Wand. Da können nur Sadus, Dream Theater und eine Handvoll andere erlesene Bands mit …

Der Auftrackt ist ein vertrackter Progger mit unzähligen Tempiwechseln, Fills, Riffvariationen (plus einem etwas unüblichen, weil monotonem Ende) und dem zwar genretypischen Gesang, welcher aber ohne weiteres eigenständig, kraftvoll und voluminös zwischen den verschiedensten Tönen hin und herpendelt. Uptempoprog mit unglaublicher Gitarrenarbeit bietet der anschliessende Titeltrack. Die Laut/Leise-Dynamik fasziniert ebenso wie der vertrackte Drum/Bass-Teppich, welcher so dicht gewebt ist dass ein Entkommen unmöglich scheint. Die an plazierten Stellen verzerrten Gesänge sind dann ein weiteres Merkmal im ZH-Sound, welches sich wie ein roter Faden durch das gesamte Werk zieht.

Das handwerkliche Niveau ist über die gesamte Spielzeit enorm hoch und bewegt sich in Sphären wo die Luft extrem dünn ist. Entweder man frickelt ohne Sinn und Verstand ins ProgNirvana - oder man schafft inmitten dieser technischen Extravaganz Songs die auch ohne Musikstudium konsumierbar sind und man nach 7 oder 8 Durchläufen auch irgendwie nachvollziehen kann . Genau in diesen Schuh passen Zero Hour – man kann sich zwar nach zwei Rundgängen noch nicht entscheiden ob hier Genie oder Wahnsinn am Werk sind. Aber: schliesslich überfordern die verschachtelten Songs nicht nur , sie geben auch so einiges. Einen Überhammer wie „Inner Spirit“ schreibt man sicher nicht in ein paar Stunden; hier steckt - wie in einem Überraschungsei – alles drin was man zum überleben braucht: Spiel, Spaß und Spannung, sprich: ausladende Progparts, instrumentale Achterbahnen, relaxte Passagen mit berauschendem Gesang und eine lineare Songstrukturierung. Und das in gut zwölf Minuten. Wer mal ein paar Basslines ausprobieren will darf sich an dem kurzen Instrumental "Tendonitis" probieren. Probieren!
Und wer sich dann noch auf den Beinen halten kann bekommt mit dem nachfolgenden "The Temple Within" noch ein paar Knoten in die Gehörgänge extra. Ohne Aufpreis. Dass die restlichen Tracks den genannten in nichts nachstehen, versteht sich von selbst. Allein für den wahnsinnigen Schlusspunkt "Severed Angel" (Instrumentalpower meets Terminator?) würden wohl die meisten Freizeitprogger ihr linkes Ei hergeben. Aber dann wäre ihr Gesang wohl noch ungeniessbarer..

Zero Hour sind aber nicht nur virtuose Musiker, sondern wissen auch wann es Zeit ist zu gehen: 45 Minuten sind genug. Mehr als genug. Wo zB. Dream Theater einige Pausen in ihren überlangen Alben einstreuen so gibt es auf „Dark Deceiver“ die volle Dosis, hochkonzentriert. Beeindruckend und faszinierend auf der einen Seite – auf der anderen Seite aber auch vertrackt und schwer zugänglich. Aber ein Weghören scheint sowieso unmöglich…

Wertung: 4.5 von 5.0
Autor: Cult Of Blood (27. Mai 2008)

Production: 6 out of 6
Songwriting: 5 out of 6
Musicianship: 6 out of 6

Zero Hour has returned to deliver their 5th endeavor of insanely dense progressive metal, and it's a real titan, folks...

Simply put, Dark Deceiver is gonna char your fuckin' bones to cinder. I honestly don't recall the last time I heard a progressive metal album as dense, dark and downright menacing as this killer slab right here. Perhaps never, quite honestly. 2006's Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond found the band steering their sights in this general direction, but this album handily eclipses that record's contentiousness with nine tracks primarily bent on punishment through piles of machine-gunned riffing, jackhammered rhythms and loads-and-loads-and-loads of eargasmic bass and guitar break-outs that truly flex the Tipton brothers' technical prowess. Nearly every tune flashes moments of what I can only think to call a "Meshuggah-esque" mechanical heaviness, but the core is still undoubtedly cast from the Alder-era Fates Warning die that stamped out No Exit 20-years ago.

And when I say this album's dense, I mean it's Dark Matter dense, people: of the ilk that could very well cause your room to implode after you hit the ol' play button the first time around. I'd also recommend you not attempt to digest this sucker from start to finish during your inaugural spin(s). Such folly would be akin to eating an entire loaf of German dark rye bread in one sitting: it's tasty, but it's gonna leave you groaning on the floor, completely immobile. Instead, let your brain dissect a couple tunes here and there just to help get the gray-matter familiar with the formula, then consume the entire work for maximum enjoyment. In my case, I quickly found this record to be nearly irresistible once the complex tendrils eventually wrapped around my brainstem.

Of course Dark Deceiver isn't only about intensity (and let me just interject the following: it ain't just the Tipton brothers delivering the blows here, friends. Mike Guy, drummer since day one, also applies a dexterous fierceness on this record...and quite keenly, I might add). The album's savagery is nicely tempered through ample measures of more mellow passages that do a wonderful job at spotlighting the vocals of Chris Salinas. His talents were debuted on the band's previous record, but this time around he sounds even more comfortable, and he gets ample opportunity to show off his notably wide range during the epic 12-minute "Inner Spirit", the more relaxed "Resurrection" and throughout "The Temple Within." For reference sake, Salinas is undoubtedly a student from the Alder/Tate School of Vocalists, and I can assure you he graduated at the very top of his class. I'd say he's one of the better progressive metal vocalists currently in the business.

I tip my hat to the saintly Mrs. Tipton -- she must have endured a great deal of pain when she birthed young Jasun and Troy from Zero Hour. Not only are these dudes identical twins, but I can also imagine they shot directly outta the womb with guitar and bass firmly in tow, based on their brain-bending musical faculties. And they've surrounded themselves with two other players that round out the Zero Hour machine perfectly. In other words, all the necessary pieces to the puzzle are in place, and Dark Deceiver is exactly the kind of album to be expected as a result of this: pure excellence. Progressive metal album of the year? Quite possibly.

Here are the lashes for the review.

Las7 5/26/2008 CST
Fantastic album; what can I say, personally I enjoyed the previous two releases I god my hands on but this one blows them out of the water.

Zero Hour for me produce a raw combination of force and melody which will leave your heads dissjointed from your neck.

This album slays and the vocals although certanly not my type; do have finer moments where I don't want to strungle the vocalist. This ofcourse is a rare case of prog vocals I can deal with.

Here is hoping their next album is even harsher vocally or instrumental

mak28 5/24/2008 CST
This is progressive metal album of the year, there is no doubt. They've finally topped The Towers of Avarice and here is their new masterpiece. I was blown away by this album and still am.

discobobbins 5/24/2008 CST
This thing is brutal. Lying dead in a gutter being poked with a stick brutal. While on fire.

Razorhog 5/23/2008 CST
A review with the term "Meshuggah-esque" is a clear indicator that I probably won't like it. Sampled some tracks and the theory holds true. While it has its groovy moments, the math technical parts outweigh them. Rubbish.

Radar 5/22/2008 CST
It takes a lot for a prog metal band to impress me. These guys are mostly not gay, mostly.

Iron Maiden 5/22/2008 CST
Cool. I'm in.

magiin 5/22/2008 CST
you'd be smarter by picking up their entire discography seeing as every single cd is damn near perfect, Fragile Mind being the only so-so. But seriously, Towers, Specs and now this cd - amazing.

The Metal Mallet 5/22/2008 CST
I was intrigued by the last album but didn't get it. I feel like I made a mistake doing that. I'll see how this one sounds and I'll probably end up getting this.

Psychotic Walt 5/22/2008 CST
Very interesting. I hear loads of Watchtower influence in the tracks posted on their myspace...crossed with maybe a little bit of Nevermore and Cynic. Probably going to pick this one up. Nice review.

The Great Cretaceous Bob Metal Review Team 5/21/2008 CST
I'll be honest: I haven't trusted these guys since I picked up the big stinker A Fragile Mind.

Great review though. Makes me interested to check them out again.

Right on flu-boy and thank you very much for posting this. I would have never seen this and appreciate you getting the word out on us bro.

This is awesome!!

METAL!!

Jasun

http://www.hallofmetal.com/ver_disco.php?id=857 10 out of 10

(click para agrandar) Grupo: ZERO HOUR

Disco: Dark Deceiver

Estilo: Metal Técnico/Progresivo

Sello/Discográfica: Sensory/Intromental

Puntuación HoM: 10 / 10

Crítica:
Totalmente por sorpresa me ha pillado la llegada de este trabajo, ya que no tenía ni idea de que la banda hubiera grabado algo nuevo (su anterior disco lo analicé en Enero del 2007).

La banda de los gemelos Tipton cumple 15 años en el negocio y nada mejor que tener otra de sus impresionantes obras como conmemoración. Y digo "impresionante" porque lo han vuelto a conseguir con este "Dark Deceiver". Nos ofrecen un discazo tremebundo, ultra-técnico, exquisito, como solo ellos saben hacer, demostrándonos (yo no tenía dudas) que pocas formaciones son capaces de tener su imaginación, calidad y técnica, a día de hoy.
En cuanto a la info técnica de este trabajo pues es exactamente la misma que en el anterior, esto es: Dino Alden a la producción en sus Alden Studios, mismos músicos y nuevamente los servicios de Killustrations (ANUBIS GATES, ASTRAL DOORS, DEW-SCENTED, NORTHER...) para el trabajo gráfico de esta obra. Trabajo gráfico que, si le echas un ojo, notarás bastante más oscuro que cualquiera de los otros usados por la banda en sus anteriores discos, y nos sirve como pista de lo que nos espera una vez le demos al play.

Una de las cosas que más me gustan de esta banda es que siempre intentan ofrecer (bueno, mejor diría "consiguen") el más difícil todavia y si su anterior "Specs Of Pictures Burnt Beyond" ya fue una andanada impresionante en cuanto a técnica, en este "Dark Deceiver" ya se han lanzado a tumba abierta hacia el paroxismo virtuoso. El cúmulo de riffs y virguerías varias que sueltan a lo largo y ancho del cd son poco menos que el sueño de cualquier amante del metal técnico. ACOJONANTE la calidad que atesoran todos sus miembros.
Chris Salinas, su cantante, dió un repaso al "como debe cantarse" este material en su anterior obra, pero aquello solo fue su primera toma de contacto con la banda y aquí se nos muestra mucho más cómodo y confiado (y no sé como coño consigue meter su chorro de voz entre el amasijo de riffs que crean sus compañeros). Fruto de ello nos ofrece una actuación bastante más variada, usando efectos vocales para dar énfasis a ciertas zonas o simplemente abriendo su boca y sus pulmones para que salga todo lo que lleva dentro, que es mucho, creedme.

En cuanto comencemos a reproducir este nuevo pepinazo de los yankis vamos a ir notando ciertos cambios con respecto a anteriores obras y casi os las he desvelado ya, ya que se les nota un tono más oscuro en las melodías que nos presentan y lo infrahumano de algunas de sus infinitas muestras de dominio de sus instrumentos (hay solos por doquiér tanto de bajo como de guitarra, siempre en clave shredder). También cabe destacar un uso de voces de acompañamiento/coros más pronunciado y ese acercamiento a las típicas melodías, sobretodo en el apartado vocal, del US Metal, que parecieron obviar en su anterior obra y que aquí vuelven a retomar pero dándole un toque bastante cañerete, no creáis!!.
No se puede destacar nada en concreto de esta obra, ya que es un todo muy compacto, pero quizás debieras prestar algo más de atención a "Power To Believe" (algunos pasajes te pondrán los vellos como escárpias), la poderosa e infecciosa "Dark Deceiver" plagada de ritmos rompe-cuellos intercalados entre las elucubraciones de los dos hermanos y una actuación colosal de Chris al micro (esto último se nota más cuando grita como un poseso o en las zonas más ambientales). Los estribillos suaves y casi grunge de "Resurrection" también tienen su miga en manos de las cuerdas vocales de un Chris que se sale por todos lados; si quieres saber lo que a Geoff Tate le gustaría cantar (si pudiera o quisiera) ponte a buen volumen "Temple Within", la voz serpenteante entre ritmos tecnificados al máximo de "Lies"...y mejor lo dejo o hablaré de todos los temas!! jajajajaja.

La banda más en forma del panorama técnico regresa como mejor sabe hacerlo, con otra nueva muestra de su suprema calidad. Un disco apabullante que hará las delicias de grandes y pequeños, aunque debo avisar a los oídos pocos acostumbrados a este material que hay que tener paciencia las primeras veces que uno se enfrenta a su material.
Una nueva "delicatessen" la que han creado estos señores, y disco que os recomiendo encarecidamente.

TRACKLIST:

01. Power to Believe
02. Dark Deceiver
03. Inner Spirit
04. Resurrection
05. Tendonitis [Instrumental]
06. Temple Within
07. Lies
08. Passion of Words
09. Severed Angel [Instrumental]

FORMACIÓN:

Jasun Tipton - Guitarra