Metalshop

Greeno

Oct 14, 2003
WV USA
Anybody remember the radio show called Metalshop? Man, I used to love that show! It was there that I heard allot of the more underground 80's metal bands for the first time. I have a few of these shows on vinyl (that's how they sent them to the radio stations) and have been putting them onto disc.

MamamamamamamaMetalshop!! :)

lost me there greeno,must have been one just for you boys in the usa.
up until the whole internet radio thing took off,in all of mainland britain there was one programme on for about two hours once a week in the middle of the night devoted to rock and metal.for 55 million fuckin people,one show .once a week.
there was always local stuff but it was always really hit n miss.that was the only national thing going.i'm crying just thinking about it.

baldyboy said:
lost me there greeno,must have been one just for you boys in the usa.
up until the whole internet radio thing took off,in all of mainland britain there was one programme on for about two hours once a week in the middle of the night devoted to rock and metal.for 55 million fuckin people,one show .once a week.
there was always local stuff but it was always really hit n miss.that was the only national thing going.i'm crying just thinking about it.

Metalshop was a once a week thing also. It was mainly mainstream metal but they would play 2 or 3 "new" bands each week. It was a national radio show. Other than that we didn't have any real metal shows either, other than college stations would have metal shows allot of times.

glad to know we wernt alone in not hearing fuck all from the major radio people in our young lives.tossers.look what they've got for the young now-keerang,mtv,all kinds of shit.its like cartoons.when i was a kid i loved cartoons-and i saw one on telly once every other day or so.now my 4 kids have got 15 fuckin channels of the things,24hour cartoons,24 hour metal.i'd have been like a dog with 2 dicks if i had that at their age.rant rant.when i were a lad ,rant rant.

I listened to it every week in Seattle. I used to call the station piss drunk when it was on and basically make a playlist for them. It didn't always get played but I got a lot of stuff dug out. I got 'em rolling a lot on Iced Earth too when The Dark Saga came out. I seriously used to spend 45 minutes at a time on the phone with the poor intern running interference for the deejay.

I do remember Metal Shop. It was okay. Z-Rock the "satellite metal" staion out of Texas was the shit, though. Anyone remember Z-Rock? They used to have this thing once per day called ZROCKBACKROCKWARDS... They used to play one entire track backwards & have the listeners phone in. The person that got the song right would get some unreal prize(music related, I.E. concert ticket, cd's, ect).

sixxswine said:
I don't know how long ther were on the air for exactly, but I will tell you this, it was(for me) two great years of metal radio!

The show ran from the early 80's until around '92 or '93, they did 560 episodes. It was a syndicated show, so the radio stations would get a copy of the show on vinyl each week to play at what ever time the had alloted for the show. You may be thinking of another show, Psychonaut, since the shows were pre recorded you couldn't make requests (they would do write in requests though.

Here's some audio that may jog some memories (very small clips)---

The intro--
http://nasapunk.tripod.com/greeno/metalshop.wav

And the voice of Metalshop... Charlie Kendel
http://nasapunk.tripod.com/greeno/metalshoprat.wav

Been trying to grab all of these shows on vinyl that I can but they are way tough to find.