Mic preamp

ChaosFragment

Enemy of my enemy
May 5, 2004
Italy
www.exhuman.net
Hello guys!
I'm searching for a cheap preamp (+/- 450€) for tracking almost everything.I don't care if it's a tube or solid state one.The important thing is that it will be suitable for instruments,micing guitar amps and vocals.I was thinkin about the aphex 207, but since I can't try this stuff before buy I hope you can give me some suggestion!

Thanks a lot! :worship:

JoeMeek makes a good cheap tube preamp with EQ and Compressor that you can find in that range.

Thanks dudes!I believe that, if spaivxx refered to the threeQ, the joemeek is not tube actually.Unfortunatly FMR is unavalaible here in Italy!I understand what Andy said,for that price you get just fakes tube pres,I would like also a good detailed ss preamp,but I fear that also in this category you get just mediocre gear.I'm a bit sorry cos I would like to be able to record something cool,this is our first full lenght and I would love to be able to give it a good sound.Thanks again to you all,I will try to take out the best I can from what we have right now! :wave:

spl goldmike!!!! tube, stereo, great specs, killer sound.
i tracked a classical harp cd with it last summer, used it for electric guitars on a spanish pop-cd (with very versatile guitar sounds, heavy stuff too) and it excells on vocals. It doesn`t have eq-section, but i prefer to get it right by mic placement/choice anyway and make further adjustments later in the mix.

Best part: as the follow up model is to be released soon its on sale for 398,- € here in germany.

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/spl_goldmike_9844_prodinfo.html?sn=e29fccac048326c722af6089eb6d01cc

don't take my word for it - tastes are different - but if you have a chance give this thingy a go! i (and all of my studio-friends) totally love it.

cheers

Yeah Thomann are great for good deals. I'm tempted to get the RNC myself from FMR. I just like the way they tell you wants not good about it and why they designed it a certain way. I'm hearing alot of good things about their stuff

Thanks morningstar!That RME quadmic preamp seems also good to me.It would be perfect for my delta 44,this way I could track drums without using my shitty behringer mixer.Usually RME gear is high quality,but what about this pre?Anyone has experience with it?

I really like the RME stuff, the ADi 8's blew away digi 888 side by side and were a 3rd of the price. It was actually Tommy Newton who put me onto them, he was raving about them

ChaosFragment said:
Thanks morningstar!That RME quadmic preamp seems also good to me.It would be perfect for my delta 44,this way I could track drums without using my shitty behringer mixer.Usually RME gear is high quality,but what about this pre?Anyone has experience with it?

I've got the Fireface 800 with the same quadmic preamps. They are very, very good. Best for the money!

Novice question here: What difference does a good preamp make?

I know that's probably not an easy question to answer, but someone help me out here, I'm really clueless on it. It's not like there are sound bytes to download that show sounds through various preamps (are there any?). And I don't have enough real studio experience to hear it. I know a good preamp obviously sounds better, but HOW does it sound better? Is it as drastic a difference as say the POD compared to a real amp combo? Is it an even balance of frequency response or something like that?

i like the rme stuff, i'm using multiface and fireface, great devices!!

i've got the goldmike and the quadmic as well, i definitely prefer the goldmike, one of the best sounding preamps available (under 2000€) and it's only 400.

ive got a rme quad mic and also an fmr rnp and the rnp is a step up in sound as far as i can tell. the quad mic is a step up from say presonus digimax. the rme pres are nice and pretty smooth, for the money its a good set of four pres. i would try to get fmr to ship to me first though and get a rnp.