Michael Schenker tour

MysticX9

Feb 27, 2002
Macon, GA
Well I can't say I'm surprised but I was hoping that this time it would work out for him; apparently not. From http://www.rbaraki.com: 07/04/07 update No.3] Michael Played in Houston: According to a post on the Scorpions-related blog site, Michael showed up at the venue in Houston alone Saturday night with nothing in a taxi. Thanks for the info, Jeff!! Schenker actually showed up at Scout Bar about 10pm in a cab. No guitar, no band, just him. A local band, The Slags, took the stage while Schenker signed autographs beside the stage. After about 20 minutes, he disappeared into the back of the club. Before the the band's 3rd set, Schenker came out on stage with them and played a couple jam-type songs. They didn't seem to be UFO/Scorpion/Schenker songs. He played some great solos and seemed to be having a good time. Afterwards, I asked the lead singer what songs they'd just played, he said "I don't know, I was just making up words". Schenker played a Dean Michael Schenker Signature Flying V that someone from Scout Bar had just purchased from the local Guitar Center's Midnight Madness sale. While on stage, Schenker apologized for the mix up that led to the cancellation. The crowd was very enthusiastic. Jeff also e-mailed the local venue (Shank Hall) where MSG was going to play tomorrow asking what happened. The owner responded to him that "His band left him". Since this is not a place for speculation, I would not go into detail, but according to my source, for the reason I wouldn't mention here Michael had to pay the band out of his own money and they all went home except Michael because Michael did not want to cancel the tour and said he would try to do it on his own. Anyway, let us wait for statements from himself and other band members. I am sincerely hoping the things will be reconciled to restart the tour.

I posted this on another bb yesterday:

San Francisco-based guitar virtuoso Doug Doppler, who was selected to open MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP's most recent North American tour, has posted the following message on his web site:

"After 11 amazing shows I regret to inform you that the MICHAEL SCHENKER tour has come to a premature end for reasons beyond our control. Michael, his band and his crew treated us like royalty, and we look forward to the possibility of touring together again.

"For all of you who came to the shows — MANY thanks. For those of you in the cities we had yet to play, I am sorely disappointed that the tour did not reach you. I am hoping to be back out on the road in the spring of 2008. In the meantime I will be doing a series of Ibanez clinic tours, the first of which will be in New Zealand and Australia in August."

Michael Schenker posted a message on his web site over the weekend that, despite rumors to the contrary, the band's current U.S. tour has not been called off and will continue as planned.

I'd have been PISSED if he showed up with no band like that at Shank Hall.
Just tonight a friend of mine invited me to go to the chicago show @ HoB.
Me thinks I might I have to pass... :(

The Dallas show on 7/1 was cancelled apparently on relatively-short notice. In light of the information given in earlier postings I now see why that was the case. Sadly, I actually thought I was finally going to get to see him this time around but the stars were not properly aligned.

Shank Hall (tonight)- Cancelled
H.O.B. Chicago (Monday) - Still listed
Website says tour not cancelled
Do I risk a $30 ticket, a 3 hr round trip commute, AND risk the possibility of a no-show, or an extended set by Enuff Z'Nuff? (Sorry Glenn F.:heh:) On my only day off next week?

Not a friggin' chance!

Set list from Michael Schenker Group in San Diego 06/25/07 started at 11:20 pm, ending at 1:07 am.
1 Assault Attack(a huge kick in the ass)
2 Are you ready to Rock
3 Let it Roll
4 Into the Arena
5 New track
6 New Track
7 New Track
8 New Track
9 Lights out
10 Only you can Rock me
11 Too Hot to Handle
12 New Track
13 Armed & Ready
14 On and On ( best performance of the evening)
Encore
15 New Track
16 Doctor Doctor
17 Rock Bottom
Schenker had trouble tunning all night, new singer is awesome, only remaining member from the 90's our friend from San Diego Wayne Findlay guitars/keyboards.

The problem is that alot of these places are guaranteeing peanuts. Literally. I know for a fact that Jari Tiura was pulling down $1200 per week (Michael mentioned it in his website when he "retired"). Now, if you are only drawing 100-200 people @ $15-$20 per, after you pay the promoter and the house, you do not have much left. I think there were nights where Michael literally played for free, or worse, payed to play. You need to pay your band. And, since the guarantees were not there, Michael pulled the plug.

Now, I COULD be wrong. But, at this jucture, I highly doubt that I am.

UPDATE: According to the Jaxx website, Doug Doppler quit the tour, but Michael will still be there.

Peace,
Ray C.

Michael Schenker was my guitar god in the 70's and I have spent the last 30 years waiting for the brilliance we saw in UFO, especially on Lights Out, Obsession and Strangers in the Night. He was great with MSG in the beginning and his "reunion" with UFO was still pretty good. He was great with his temporary stints ("reunions") with the Scorpions a la Lovedrive. The more recent stuff --at least the last decade--has been lacking to say the least.

I got to see Schenker on the recent tour here in Sacramento, CA at the Hard Rock Cafe--not a usual venue for rock acts here. It is a tiny place with no stage. There was absolutely NO promotion for the show and we were unsure if it was even going to happen until days beforte the show. At the show, there were maybe 100 people--die hard Schenker fanatics every one, myself included. However, I can maintain my objectivity. He came on very late. We could see him and the band through a curtain and they were just sitting around drinking beer and doing nothing as the night wore on and on. When he finally came on, I was embarrassed for what I saw. His guitar playing was sloppy and a mere shadow of what I have seen him do in the past. He stumbled at one point and nearly knocked over a stack of Marshalls--only to be saved by one of his crew who held the stack up from going backwards. I think he was trying his best, it was just gone. For the band's part, they were equally lacking. I know each is a talented musician in his own right, but something about them fails to gel as a band. I was very disappointed in the show. The friends I went with felt the same. It is my hope that it was a bad fluke, but everything we hear over and over confirms that the Schenker we grew up with is gone.

MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP guitarist/keyboardist Wayne Findlay has posted a message on his web site confirming that "the MSG remaining U.S. shows have been put on hold." An official statement on the matter is expected shortly.

Michael Schenker previously posted a message on his web site that the band's U.S. tour would continue as planned.

Watch fan-filmed video footage of MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP's June 23, 2007 performance at the Avalon club in Santa Clara, California at YouTube.

MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP's current touring lineup is as follows:

Michael Schenker (guitar)
Wayne Findlay (guitar, keyboards)
Jari Tiura (vocals)
Bodo Schopf (drums)
Frank Rummler (bass)

MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP released "Tales of Rock 'n' Roll", a special CD to celebrate the band's 25-year anniversary, on August 1, 2006 via Locomotive Records. The CD contains Michael Schenker's signature riffage on new cuts featuring an all-star assembly of singers who have recorded with Schenker over the past quarter-century: Graham Bonnet, Gary Barden, Robin McAuley, Kelly Keeling, Leif Sundin, Chris Logan and Michael's most recent vocalist, Jari Tiura. UFO's Pete Way chips in with bass for this special occasion and RACER X vocalist Jeff Martin is behind the kit.

Legendary guitarist Michael Schenker has issued a statement on the abrupt cancellation of the remaining dates on MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP's recent U.S. tour.

Said Michael: "I am sorry, but, there never will be another tour in the U.S. unless particular people stop interfering. I haved tried my best to give all my fans a live show but was forced out of the U.S. by wicked attempts by these same people."

What I do not get is this: His band blames the tour operator. The Clubs and Venues say the band left MSG, and Michael states that "Particular people" (aka ex-wife Bella Piper) was interfering with the tour. Just one request:

CAN SOMEBODY GET THEIR STORY STRAIGHT?!?!?!