MICHAEL SCHENKER Was 'Tempted' To Join OZZY OSBOURNE's Band

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In a newly released trailer for MICHAEL SCHENKER FEST's upcoming album, "Revelation", Michael Schenker spoke about turning down an opportunity to join Ozzy Osbourne's group after the death of Randy Rhoads. "I was tempted to do it," the German guitarist said (see video below). I said, 'How can I get away from this?' And then Cozy [Powell, then-MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP drummer] was saying, 'You can't do this. We're doing 'Assault Attack' now. We just got Graham Bonnet.' And I thought, 'I'll just ask him for the impossible. He [will] say no.' And that's what I did. So I asked for the impossible with the hope that he would say no. And then I was off the hook." Schenker has also previously said that he was asked by Lemmy to join MOTÖRHEAD as the band's first guitarist and was approached by AEROSMITH to replace Joe Perry in 1979. He also claimed that he was asked to audition for THE ROLLING STONES shortly after he arrived in London to join UFO in 1973. He told The Bigfoot Diaries in a 2011 interview: "AEROSMITH, Ozzy Osbourne or any other band with history was not good for me. It would always mean that I would have to learn other guitarist's riffs. And that was not what I wanted. I was born to create and invent." The second MICHAEL SCHENKER FEST album, "Revelation" will be released on September 20 via Nuclear Blast. Featuring Gary Barden, Graham Bonnet, Robin McAuley and Doogie White on vocals, the album also includes a guest appearance by RANBOW singer Ronnie Romero. Instrumental parts were handled by Michael himself, as well as Steve Mann, Chris Glen, Bodo Schopf and Simon Phillips.

Continue reading...