Michael Schenker

rusty water

Jul 17, 2016
I enjoyed watching this video made of Michael rehearsing in a room in Brighton in UK that I spotted on youtube and is proche de moi. It can be seen how he plays the songs, and it is relaxed.

I think I recognise the drummer as ex Scorpions Herman Rarebell and ex Scorpions bassist Francis Bucholtz ( spelling correct? ).
Decades ago you wouldn't get an opportunity to see this sort of thing.

He;s such a good player and I really don't think that he gets his due these days. Obviously the thrash bands were all really influenced by him but his playing in UFO and MSG was absolutely stellar.

I didn't know at the time, but I think Michael must live in Brighton in the UK as he says in interviews about keep bumping into Phil Mogg who lives there. I always liked the Scoprions albums ` lovedrive` and `animal magnetism` and only now found out that they were Michael Schenker albums really.

I always liked the Scoprions albums ` lovedrive` and `animal magnetism` and only now found out that they were Michael Schenker albums really.
I can't find anything about his involvement in Animal Magnetism, but I see he helped to fix up the whole Lovedrive album, not just the tracks he's credited for. Anyway, I dig his work on Lonesome Crow. It's more my thing than the others:

I can't find anything about his involvement in Animal Magnetism, but I see he helped to fix up the whole Lovedrive album, not just the tracks he's credited for. Anyway, I dig his work on Lonesome Crow. It's more my thing than the others:

Actually it might just be the Lovedrive album, I was reading his interviews lately and don't try to remember too many details these days. Theres too much information out there to be remembering stuff these days. I cant be reading through his interviews just now to find out exactly which ones he was saying. He doesn't like Rudolf these days at all because of him copying and exploiting him allegedly. That `leave me` track is weird to hear, it is so dated but also fresh.
I have to add RIP to Paul Raymond, the UFO keyboard / guitarist whom passed recently. I grew up with this lot, as well as many others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjammin
Sky 1689.jpg San Francisco 4-19-19' Awesome show.. Graham Bonnet was amazing at age 71..He is the star singer of Schenker Fest..

Robin sounded and looked like the Rock star he is.

Great night! Row B right in front of Michael..

sky-1606-jpg.19770

Attachments

• Sky 1606.jpg
    Sky 1606.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I enjoyed watching this video made of Michael rehearsing in a room in Brighton in UK that I spotted on youtube and is proche de moi. It can be seen how he plays the songs, and it is relaxed.

I think I recognize the drummer as ex Scorpions Herman Rarebell and ex Scorpions bassist Francis Bucholtz ( spelling correct? ).
Decades ago you wouldn't get an opportunity to see this sort of thing.

Great post! You know everybody has to rehearse somewhere. So cool it was recorded.

I think it is interesting Phil Mogg lives down the street. I wonder if he was outside listening? lol

Last edited:
Great post! You know everybody has to rehearse somewhere. So cool it was recorded.

I think it is interesting Phil Moog lives down the street. I wonder if he was outside listening? lol

Did you know that Phil Mogg was a Junior Boxing Champion?

The UFO thing surprises me in that their career has been so long. They started in the late 1960`s if I remember, which is a long long time ago in music terms.

Apparently he is married to an ex page 3 girl, which means in Britain that she used to do topless for the main Newspapers.

UFO were very wild. Other bands notorious for excess, they have said they weren't on UFO`s level.

This recording has always been a fave of mine, the intro is sublime. Chords in D Minor and B flat Major, which this intro to the song is only on the live version.

They are on their final tour now. Mogg has said its time to stop, hes over 70 (if I remember ), and this will be it, with them. At the end of the current leg of the tour, the keyboard / guitarist Paul Raymond has died :(

That's a great pic of Schenker you posted above.

I saw Schenker a few times also.

Last edited:
Schenker is a world class guitarist, some of his playing is just sublime. Think he is rated amongst musicians and hard rock / metal fans in the know. But definitely an unknown to the general public.

I enjoyed his recent tours under the Temple of Rock banner with Doogie White on vocals and the old Scorpions rhythm section. Unfortunately I wasn’t so keen on the albums they put out, bit heavy and lacking in melody compared to the classic albums he played on back in the late 70s and early 80s. I’m yet to see a Michael Schenker Fest gig, but again found the album they put out a bit disappointing, pretty forgettable songs.

As for UFO, a definite favourite of mine, saw them a couple of months ago on their farewell tour, Mogg was still in fine voice and Moore was an able replacement for Schenker.

I enjoyed his recent tours under the Temple of Rock banner with Doogie White on vocals and the old Scorpions rhythm section. Unfortunately I wasn’t so keen on the albums they put out, bit heavy and lacking in melody compared to the classic albums he played on back in the late 70s and early 80s.

Curious, I actually loved the album because of its heaviness.

Curious, I actually loved the album because of its heaviness.

Interesting,I saw them on tour for Temple Of Rock.. I am a fan of Doogie, But I find his voice is more suited for Rainbow JLT style, Cornerstone, Empire. He sounds great on those. Not sure about him singing harder rock material.

I need to check out a cd by Temple Of Rock to investigate a bit more.

Interesting,I saw them on tour for Temple Of Rock.. I am a fan of Doogie, But I find his voice is more suited for Rainbow JLT style, Cornerstone, Empire. He sounds great on those. Not sure about him singing harder rock material.

I need to check out a cd by Temple Of Rock to investigate a bit more.

Have you listened to Rainbow "Stranger In Us All", because there Doogie slays. I also kind of alright on his work for Malmsteen, but I couldn't get into the version of Tank with him, I need Algy Ward there.

Have you listened to Rainbow "Stranger In Us All", because there Doogie slays. I also kind of alright on his work for Malmsteen, but I couldn't get into the version of Tank with him, I need Algy Ward there.

Yeah, I saw him with Rainbow. Have the cd also. I was impressed! He came out and did an acapella version of "Gates Of Babylon" wow..

Reactions: Wyvern