Michael Wagener to release instructional producing DVD

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Seems pretty cool!

Former SKID ROW, ACCEPT, DOKKEN Producer To Release Instructional DVD - July 22, 2011
He's worked with METALLICA, DOKKEN, PLASMATICS, MÖTLEY CRÜE, QUEEN, POISON, Randy Rhoads... and many more top artists. Now Michael Wagener is going to reveal his recording secrets in an upcoming instructional DVD.

For more information, watch the clip below.

Wagener is a music producer, mixer, and engineer from Hamburg, Germany, best known for his work with many top hard rock and heavy metal bands in the late '80s. Wagener's works have sold over 94 million albums worldwide.

Wagener was the original guitarist for the German band ACCEPT. When he turned 18, he was drafted into the German army and was stationed 350 miles away from home. This made it difficult for him to practice with the rest of ACCEPT and hence he quit the band. After completing his military service, Wagener began working as an audio engineer in Hamburg in 1972. Through a friendship with singer Don Dokken, Wagener moved to Los Angeles. In 1981 he produced the first DOKKEN album, and would go on to produce such seminal albums as SKID ROW's self-titled debut, which sold five million copies in the U.S. alone, and OZZY OSBOURNE's "No More Tears", which sold seven million in the US. Wagener also mixed METALLICA's 1986 classic "Master Of Puppets".
Source: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=161000

Last edited by a moderator:
The price for the complete box set will be $650.00. You can pre-order now and you get a discount of $100, for a pre-order price of $550.00

and people thought Joe Barresi's instructional dvd was expensive...lol

and people thought Joe Barresi's instructional dvd was expensive...lol

Well, some people pay £1050 to meet Britney Spears... And the funny thing is that most of those meet and greet packages are SOLD OUT. Also Wagener's 7 day workshops that he mentions in the youtube video cost $3500 per person (max 12 per session), and they were booked solid too. It's not stupid who asks, but the one who pays.

Well, the dude hasn't really done much in the past 5-10 years (according to Discogs.com), so I guess that's a part of how he generates revenue these days. Pricing is definitely far away from the average buyer, but I don't think it's too much. It's about a month's worth of SAE tuition and you barely learn anything there ... ;)

Small price to pay for a look inside the mans head who made so many epic records. His guitar tones int he 80s were the best of the best. Listen to the stuff he did

90% of this shit was ahead of its time, ESPECIALLY Puppets, that mix is just AMAZING from top to bottom. Its helped pave the way for the MODERN metal sound.

Something like this is easily worth $1000

I don't get why he mixed so well a lot of albums but there are some others mixed not that well.
Big example is first skid row, it's too "fat" too muddy compared to the second one which is a lot better.
Puppets is classic big fat crushing guitar tone.
Well considering is a box set is not so insane... I'll never spend that much on something like this though.
I've seen in the past brand new "star trek the next generation" all seasons box-sets going for 200 euros when it was out.

Dude is crazy.

The world is in recession and he's going to charge $650 for a couple DVDS that people will upload within a few hours?
The Joe B thing caused a lot of stir over the price ($100 iirc) and in my opinion, his style varies from record to record. He doesn't leave his royer 121s setup.