Mid Price Ibanez 7-string with stock pups....I hate myself...dirty dirty

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
I gotta take 4 showers in a row later today.
I hate Ibanez RG series, I fucking loath 7-string guits, I despise the Ibanez stock pups....
usually...

Now I got an Ibanez 7421 (it's got those disgusting v8 or whatever they're called)....
and I had to find out that this particular guitar resonates rather nicely...and it doesn't sound bad at all...and I fear I could be getting used to playing 7string...
dirty dirty.

anyways, here's a wee clip:

self-betrayal

I had to notch some 190Hz to get rid of an annoying boomy freq, but overall I was quite impressed with how this guitar sounds...
please help me in my dilemma and tell me it sounds shite

Dude the V1 and V2 pups for being factory are pretty damn good. As for the quality of the guitars Ibanez has really stepped it up since the shit they were making in the late 90s. The 7421 is the shit!

Seriously if you like that guitar try the RGA 7's You will fucking die! They are AMAZING!

Sounds good, but I like Schecter 7-Strings a lot more...I'm also not a fan of the R series...I used to own one, but I sold it.
Is that the Earforce btw?

I have a 7421 as well and I love it (but currently I love my Schecter C1 hellraiser more), so shut up din jävla svenska :). Just kidding, I am planning on changing the pickups whenever I get some money. It is a great guitar and really comfortable to play.

Ibbys, I think, have slightly better ergonomics than do the Schecters. The Schecters have this sharp edge on their body tops where the underside of your forearms rests while picking. You don't notice at first, but after an hour or two, it starts to become quite irritating.

@Lasse: Try dropping it down to A standard sometime. It's great for chugging along.

Also, you might want to try a BKP in that Ibby. I got a BKP Warpig in a cheaper Schecter of mine and it sounds pretty good.

Ibbys, I think, have slightly better ergonomics than do the Schecters. The Schecters have this sharp edge on their body tops where the underside of your forearms rests while picking. You don't notice at first, but after an hour or two, it starts to become quite irritating.

@Lasse: Try dropping it down to A standard sometime. It's great for chugging along.

Also, you might want to try a BKP in that Ibby. I got a BKP Warpig in a cheaper Schecter of mine and it sounds pretty good.

Agreed. I tried a Schecter 7 for the first time the other day, couldn't cope with the 26.5 scale. Doesn't 'agree' with me as far as pinch harmonics go. Plus the neck was chunky as hell. Ibanez has always been the way for me, though I am tempted to PX my 7321 for an LTD 7 one day as they come EMG equipped, and I'm not one of those jazz fusion types who needs some fancy Dimarzios.

been playing my 4721 for about 10 years now, i really cant see how you can NOT love them ;-)...
schecter and esp 7 strings are far from the playability and feel of ibbys...
same with 8 strings btw. the 2228 is still superior to all schecter and esp models that came out.
if your talking sound, yeah , the ibanez do not have that much of a character...
but even prs 7 strings do not come close to a well set up ibby..

the feel of a guitar sound is AT least as important as the sound to me, ibanez wizard necks just rule.

Yep, I've got me an RG 7421 too. Had mine for a while now.
Plays beautifully and it absolutely kills the RG7321 they replaced it with for quality and construction. Huge shame it got discontinued, because the RG74xx/76xx range were really quite amazing guitars for the price.
Sustains quite well, and the resonance of the body is quite good.
I'm getting a new Hipshot bridge to replace the stock bridge. Hopefully it will increase sustain a little bit, and will make the guitar feel even more solid.

Wizard I necks play great. I have no idea why Ibanez ever made the Wizard II neck, I think its poo. The guitars made in Japan are usually very good. Though some of the Korean made ones are good too and sometimes better than the Japanese ones.

Ibanez is very dedicated to putting horrible pickups in guitars. With few exceptions this has been my experience. This is why I advise people that want an Ibby to look for a used one. That way you have left over cash to put whatever pups you want in it.