Mikael's Growl

Ultimately we could only think of one good person, our good friend Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth...We were all so amazed by his singing phenomenon. Of course we'd heard him growl before, but never his naked voice alone without music. There was no clue to whatever technique he was using, but the guy sounded like he had surgery where the doctors must have wired an amplifier down his throat! Nevertheless, his output volume was really low! If you were standing in the room with the music muted, his vocals sounded at most like loud whispers...

-Anders Nystrom from Katatonia, taken from the liner notes of my copy of 'Brave Murder Day'

doesnt sound like a whisper to me, maybe his new technique is louder or something

definitely not a full out scream though as it would wreck his vocal cords completely

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah one of my friends asked him about the growl and he said he uses the low volume technique. It probably got naturally louder over time; that's what happened with me.

He definitely uses low volume in the studio if you look at the distance from the mic when he changes from clean to growl. However, in a live situation he probably has to push more unless it's a stage with really good sound.