Mike Featured in Mellotron Documentary

I'm really hyped over this, look at all the names of people featured in the film.

Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth)
Rod Argent (The Zombies)
David Biro (Birotron)
Jon Brion (Producer/Composer)
Jesse Carmichael (Maroon 5)
Richard Chamberlin (The Chamberlin Company)
Damon Fox (Big Elf)
Mitchell Froom (Producer)
Steve Frothingham (Big Elf)
Pea Hicks (Optiganally Yours)
Woody Jackson (Musician)
David Kean (Mellotron Archives)
Brian Kehew (Author Recording the Beatles, Musician)
Ian McDonald (King Crimson)
Patrick Moraz (Refugee, Yes, The Moody Blues)
Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick)
Michael Penn (Recording Artist)
Mike Pinder (The Moody Blues)
Markus Resch (Mellotron Archives)
Tom Rhea (Berklee School of Music)
Matthew Sweet (Recording Artist)
Mattias Olsson (Rothhandle Studio)
Geoff Unwinn (Mellotronics)
Patrick Warren (Musician)
Per Wiberg (Opeth)
Brian Wilson (The Beach Boys)

some really BIG names there!

Haha, the mellotron. When I saw it listed as an instrument on the Opeth albums, I had no idea what it was. I thought from the way it sounded that it was kind of like a weird half accordian, half trumpet kind of instrument.

Ah cool, Per will be in it as well. I emailed the lady who made the film and it will be released on DVD in December.

It's true that their samples are pretty bad. I know Steven Wilson has a real one that Mike could probably borrow, not to mention the fact that Mike/Per live in SWEDEN where there are an abundance of Mellotrons that they could certainly afford and could fix up, etc.

It's true that their samples are pretty bad. I know Steven Wilson has a real one that Mike could probably borrow, not to mention the fact that Mike/Per live in SWEDEN where there are an abundance of Mellotrons that they could certainly afford and could fix up, etc.
Yeah...
Not to mention Per' girlfriend own a mellotron, she plays in a band called Anekdoten. And i heard they're sharing the same Rehearsing room ( Maybe not anylonger )...
Anyway it's easy to borrow one for a recording session...

People who likes real mellotron and prog/rio music should listen to the lastest Gösta Berlings Saga album. They have the best mellotron sound i heard since ages... Best band from Sweden nowadays...

The mellotron was brought to my attention by Per's work on the song "Burning Bridges" by Arch Enemy. I find everything he does with the keyboard / mellotron to be nothing but gorgeous. If his samples' are "shitty", can anyone help me out by comparing his "shitty" samples with a true sample?

Just listen to the mellotron sound on here:

And then compare it to Opeth:

Just not the same...

operths sounds liek too digital. yeah, too digital... its sounds like microchips1!1!!!

But in all seriousness, it's the texture and delivery of the sound. Digital samples are FAR too smooth. Even if they sound similar, they BEHAVE differently.

Last edited by a moderator: