Misery Index - Retaliate

Soilent Goat

May 26, 2002
Picked this up last night and all I can say is WOW...Jason Netherton has really gone on to something BETTER than Dying Fetus. Don't get me wrong, I like Stop At Nothing...but Misery Index has really struck a chord with me. For those of you who haven't heard it...it's like Death, Grindcore, and yes I dare say it even a hint of PUNK...it's just a fucking superb album. Brutal, catchy, and downright PISSED. Check it out if you haven't already. Anyone care to comment?

I see them open up for Dying Fetus on the 22nd and they were good. They were energetic. Like you said they're death metal but they got some punk/hardcore in them but they aint as good as the almighty Dying Fetus man :). I love Jason Netherton's vocals. He sounds clear like those hardcore vocalists but more brutal. I think he should do Misery Index as a side project and he should just stay in Dying Fetus. Netherton went on stage on Dying Fetus' final 6 songs and he did a great job.

MURAI said:
I see them open up for Dying Fetus on the 22nd and they were good. They were energetic. Like you said they're death metal but they got some punk/hardcore in them but they aint as good as the almighty Dying Fetus man :). I love Jason Netherton's vocals. He sounds clear like those hardcore vocalists but more brutal. I think he should do Misery Index as a side project and he should just stay in Dying Fetus. Netherton went on stage on Dying Fetus' final 6 songs and he did a great job.

Personally, I find Misery Index destroy Dying Fetus. Especially with the last three albums...however, if you mean Infatuation with Malevolence or Purification Through Violence...there could be an argument.

i saw that show when it rolled through atlanta. they were fuckin awesome. i got to meet jason after the show. pretty cool guy.

MURAI said:

I don't think he wanted to leave Dying Fetus...and anyways, Misery Index basically IS Dying Fetus now...

I bought it yesterday...and you're right - the album absolutely shreds. I was a hardcore fan of Dying Fetus (up to Destroy the Opposition), but IMO this album even beats Killing on Adrenaline (which was my favourite DF album)

I don't think he wanted to leave Dying Fetus...and anyways, Misery Index basically IS Dying Fetus now...
wow, finally someone who got it ;) It always pisses me off when I hear kids talking about how great Dying Fetus are, who didn't even know the band before D.t.O. and who think the current line-up has been the same for the last couple of their albums. I always ask them, if they've ever heard of Misery Index and that Misery Index has more Dying Fetus members than Dying Fetus itself (lol), but they don't know shit...

Emperor Magus Caligula said:
The drumming could be better, Too bad that Kevin Talley left....
Well, IMO the new drummer is just as good as Talley was, but in a different way - I loved Talley's drum-rolls. But I like the way the new drummer is blasting more.