Mix Help Urgently Required. Big Project

Demonstealer

Jun 30, 2003
India
demonicresurrection.8m.com
Hello,
This is the make or break moment of my career(okay so I'm pushing it :D) which probably is the reason I want more than just my perspective and I've also tried to move away from my standard formula to get a song mixed etc. So definitely some guidance or just letting me know if I'm going the right way will definitely help and I will be grateful. The master bus on this mix has just an L2. Also since I will be mastering this myself any feedback on how to approach that will be an added bonus.

Incase anyone remembers me I'm the guy from the 'Trouble with tone' thread and I had put some some pre mixes earlier but this is with vocals and shit and its going to be final from here on out.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1953726/Where Dreams And Darkness Mix1 Trial.mp3

the low end of the both the guitar and bass seems to be to high. shifting the lowend of the bass down will fill out the lowend better as well as allow the guitars to have some more lowend without clouding things up. other then that everything sounds pretty good

i would totally switch you mix around.
vocals willl totally vanish in a "boom box" situation. same goes for drums.

first take the guitars down and make kick and snare and lead vox your main instruments for this kind of music.

chekc your mix against something from the genre, you'll immidiately hear where you have to change some things.

I'd say the mix sounds kind of "weak" and the problem is mainly in the low end.. BUT, I don't really think of it as a problem since it seems to fit this type of music very well. I don't know why but I'm sort of reminded of Necrophagist when I hear this mix. Middy guitars, little low end and just generally adapted for fast music type of mix. I'm not really sure what feedback to give since I don't really listen to a lot of that genre in particular but I don't know, maybe just filling out the low end slightly more wouldn't hurt.

^^ thanks for listening.

Okay so I am going to work on the low end a bit. But maybe I can specify where my dilemma lies. This is assuming the mix is more or less good.

So far I've been mastering or a more appropriate term would be finalizing my mixes myself. And I have to this myself as well. So far I've been slapping on a PSP Vintage Warmer on the master bus with a preset I made and tweaked around a bit, this time I took a different approach and thought I'll try maybe doing more than slapping on that PSP so that is where I'm really stuck right now. I'm a bit stuck as to what I should be applying etc.

And apart from that any general comments on the guitar tone/drum sound or is that too relative and more of a personal taste that this can pass off as good?decent? average?