Mixing tips!

pixiusd

Nov 17, 2011
I'm alright at mixing I guess but I still need help on mixing drums, guitars and mastering a mix. Please help :p

I'm alright at mixing I guess but I still need help on mixing drums, guitars and mastering a mix. Please help :p

so what is that you're alright at if all that still needs work?!! haha

i just posted stems the other day in the "Off Topic" sections. give em a try! get creative, they're pretty clean and easy [lil issue with importing them, sorry ;)] but there's some work for you, and i'll tell you how i think you did. i'm gunna post a "re-do" mix of my own song too haha.

Guitars: The key to a good guitar tone is a good bass tone.

Overall Mix: Turn ALL faders all the way down and bring them Up one at a time until they sound good to you.

Mastering: wait a few days, (so your ears/mind can refresh) open it up and then give it what it needs to sound even better.

I feel like an idiot, I know how to do this stuff but not good at it haha and alright ill do a mix to your stems.

Quick reliable answer to this, is start on the foundation stuff, kick and bass guitar relationship, then check the bass and guitar relationship. This plus doing the basics like hi-passing/lowpassing instruments. Surgical cuts on the above relationships between the instruments. Another cool trick I do, is put your monitoring system as soft as you can and when playing back you can hear what's generally too loud or soft in the mix. All of this plus proper gain staging, then its all in the sample replacement, tight editing/playing and dynamics control. And make sure your master buss isn't clipping, if it is and there is nothing on your 2 buss then bring your channels and/or groups down. I also like to leave my master fader at -0.01db.

Hope this helps somebody