mixing traditional metal? here you go...

Curse9

Jun 10, 2008
Germany
I've included DI's from bass and guitar into an omf file. A midi file with drum hits is also in the package.

I like to know how you guys would probably mix the stuff. I did my mix with these files, you can listen to it here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3441300/These Hellish Nights.mp3

and here the omf file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3441300/Hellish Nights bpm 110.zip

In my mix I used superior drummer and overloud triode for guitars. One bass track was loaded with the cubase ampsim for crunsh and crush.

Bpm is listed in the header of the file.

its for mixing praxis only. I would like to know how different this song sounds and what ideas other engineers might have.

You might find more people participating if you would just post the WAV files. All start at bar 0, beat 0. I tried PT first, then Reaper, both no luck, then I tried Sonar and it loaded it (and crashed as I am typing this...).

I finally got it up in Reaper after exporting the tracks bar 0 aligned using Sonar. I got the MIDI imported as well and after I manually aligned it to the last notes I am ready to export the stuff over to Pro Tools for mixing.
I also have a Ableton Live license that I could use for something... o_O

Next time, time-aligned and meaningfully named WAV and MIDI files would be great.

Great tune, Curse. The mid-part has too much vocal tracks for my taste, but we'll see how I can mix them together. The Mute-button is one of my favorite mixing tools, though :devil: Really cleans things up...

I'm excited what comes out in the end! I will take care of things you mentioned, thank you for giving me the hint! It'll be better though.

Just wanted to report back that I am currently bouncing my mixdown of this song.
It has been fun so far and I really dig the tune. Thanx for sharing it with us, Curse9!
The singer is especially great and covers a lot of ground from grunts to screams to singing and stuff in between. I did not use the Mute-button ;-). But I need to check back my mix tomorrow with fresh ears before I post it, because long late night mixing sessions turn out crappier as my tired ears think they are...

I fucking love stuff like accept!! Thanks for sharing....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/929252/sceptor.mp3
Sounds good!
But your mix is only 3 minutes (out of 4:30) long... "Radio Edit" ?
What did you use for the drums and guitars?

And yes... Accept! The whole time I thought of which band this song reminds me of... First I thought of Priest, but no... too fast, too raw. I didn't come up with Accept, but yes that's it!

Thanks.. Drums are slate all the way, mixed with good old d4 rim cntr. on snare.
Guitars are TSE808-lextac-grind ( guitarHack IR). Couldn´t process the solo cause 5 instances of lextc are to much for my cpu.

Sounds good!

And yes... Accept! The whole time I thought of which band this song reminds me of... First I thought of Priest, but no... too fast, too raw. I didn't come up with Accept, but yes that's it!

To me it reminds me more of Running Wild than Accept. But that's me. :popcorn:
I still hope for Wav and midifils for this great track.

To me it reminds me more of Running Wild than Accept. But that's me. :popcorn:
I still hope for Wav and midifils for this great track.
I haven't heard both Accept and Running Wild for more than 20 years, so it's been a while... Maybe I should dig out that Running Wild tape that I liked so much back then ;-).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/453972/sceptor mix2.mp3
(..) any opinions/advices would be greatly appreciated
Zeronaut, that is one solid mix! I am only listening on headphones and will check the mix back on my brand new A7X's tomorrow to reveal even the slightest flaw :cool:...
What I can tell is that everything sits where it belongs, the guitars sound great and the drums are fat and punchy. You pretty much got the pile of vocal tracks in the "Mid"-part sorted very well.
Something is sounding distorted (at least on my cans) on the toms in the intro, though. And maybe the low-end is a bit weak (did you just use a distorted bass and did not mix in an undistorted track?), but as I said, I am listening on cans.

And your drums remind of that ride cymbal that should be in the chorus, but can't be heard on my mix... ;-)

Zeronaut, that is one solid mix! I am only listening on headphones and will check the mix back on my brand new A7X's tomorrow to reveal even the slightest flaw :cool:...
Thanks a lot! and please do so...im mixing in an untreated room so
every opinion/advice is important to me

What I can tell is that everything sits where it belongs, the guitars sound great and the drums are fat and punchy. You pretty much got the pile of vocal tracks in the "Mid"-part sorted very well.
Something is sounding distorted (at least on my cans) on the toms in the intro, though. And maybe the low-end is a bit weak (did you just use a distorted bass and did not mix in an undistorted track?), but as I said, I am listening on cans.
And your drums remind of that ride cymbal that should be in the chorus, but can't be heard on my mix... ;-)

i will check those toms
i hear plenty of bass (even a friend told me that is too loud and taking over the guitar on some parts)
i used a clean track and a distorted one for the bass sound