Modernity plagued with ad crumenam thinking

cryosteel

Jun 29, 2006
Along with Newer is Best, Money makes Right is another commonplace fallacy. We have at least two probable illogical underpinnings supporting the present structure.

In post-industrial society, the accumulation of money dominates our lives. Are we moderns trained to evaluate the correctness of our behaviour by virtue of the wealth we may accumulate?

Some novelty license plates sold in years past bore the sentence "If you're so smart, how come you ain't rich?"

Jeanson James Ancheta, the BotNet operator being called the “Bot Herder” once explained to someone that “It’s immoral, but the money makes it right.”

http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/its-immoral-but-the-money-makes-it-right-says-botnet-operator-jeanson-ancheta-now-it-makes-it-time-in-the-slammer

Friedman’s absurd invocation of a “quest for freedom” is an attempt to provide “moral” trappings to a US plan to conquer Iraq, occupy the country and expropriate its oil wealth.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2002/dec2002/frie-d03.shtml

When you find a civilized society that isn't dominated the by accumulation of whatever is the 'currency' of power, let me know.

Are we moderns trained to evaluate the correctness of our behaviour by virtue of the wealth we may accumulate?

I wouldn't say 'moderns' or 'trained'. We humans are always going to take a wealth of shelter or food or, um, 'mates' as a sign that we're doing something right, such is our innate standard of good and bad, and of course here, money amounts to ...pretty much any such things...

Money could be a means to an end, but we've corrupted the ends and now the means are getting corruptive too.

Money could be a means to an end, but we've corrupted the ends and now the means are getting corruptive too.

Yes! The means are corrupted thoroughly...Speed, you are the resident anti-capitalist/materialist that can further articulate this position. The whole "end" has been perverted...or has it simply succeded?

Yes! The means are corrupted thoroughly...Speed, you are the resident anti-capitalist/materialist that can further articulate this position. The whole "end" has been perverted...or has it simply succeded?

Agreed, I'd like to hear from speed.

The original idea behind capitalism was that it granted equality through competition.

Then came Adam Smith.

I'm not sure it self-regulates, except to reward those fascinated with capitalism. I'm more interested in the dropouts who realize capitalism is a monkey symbols game.

:zombie: