Monitor positioning & Desk placement !

Apr 23, 2011
So basically i need help knowing where exactly to place my monitors in postion to me as well as how you guys have yours position.

also what area of the room seems to work.. the pictures posted are how my desk and studio is as of now. BUTTT can totally tell that my monitors and low end frequencies sound different/ non existing when i moved to this new place. ( there is a wall right after the left side of my desK)

4f01797d-1.jpg

what do you think? do you see a different spot that would be better to place the desk?

the room also does a weird L shape.so its not a rectangle or squared room

So basically i need help knowing where exactly to place my monitors in postion to me as well as how you guys have yours position.

also what area of the room seems to work.. the pictures posted are how my desk and studio is as of now. BUTTT can totally tell that my monitors and low end frequencies sound different/ non existing when i moved to this new place. ( there is a wall right after the left side of my desK)

4f01797d-1.jpg

what do you think? do you see a different spot that would be better to place the desk?

A pic from the two other angles would help - from Couch area towards desk and/or desk to couch area. Hard to tell how wide it is or if there are other problems.

Turn your desk 90* to the left. The TV area will be behind you. It will be a narrower but better than a wall close on one side and 20ft away on your right.

A rule of thumb I follow is you should be able to walk behind your desk. Anything less and you're seriously messing up your bass response.
Where you have it now, the bass is being absorbed by the desk (get decoupling yo), absorbed by the wall and there's probably a standing wave there.

4f01797d-1.jpg

0251c040.jpg

3a7cf1f2.jpg

The best place would unfortunately be where your tv is. Plus you'd need to pull your desk a couple of feet into the room, so your monitors aren't up against the back wall.
If you treat the area you're in now with some deadening your monitors are going to sound totally mismatched on hard panned things because the left one is bang up in a corner, the right in an open space. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure...

What if I hung a carpet from the roof to box that area in

You might be better off getting those carpeted divider baffles they use in schools and conference rooms and placing those there along with the hanging of heavy blankets or carpet from the ceiling. Kind of like this but maybe with no wheels:

SF%20008-small.jpg

that ^^ is a good idea!

what about the corner of where my tv is.. but place it diagonally to touch both walls!? so it will sit like / in that corner.
?

Some general comments:

The monitors should point down the length of the room. If the room is an L shape then if you can screen off the leg to form a rectangle.
Ideally the monitors should form an equilateral triangle with you at the apex. Also try to have them the same distance from walls and corners. (Looks at present like one is in a corner and the other isn't - that can affect timing, reflections and so on.)
Ideally they should be on stands so that the tweeters on your 2 way is at the same height as your ear.
If you leave them sitting on your desk then think about putting some speaker insulation pads under them. You might also need to move them forward a bit as at present it looks like you'll get reflection from the surface of the stand.
You may also need to do something about the reflection from the tiled floor.