Monitoring while recording

thedonutman

Nov 10, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
I've been recording some stuff with Amplitube, and I get a bit of lag when I use the audition function in Cubase, and it gets worse if I have loads of tracks.

I've tried running a splitter into a guitar amp, but I get a horrible screeching noise on both the recorded track and through the amp. I assume this is a grounding problem?

Is there any way I can get a direct monitoring sound (doesn't have to sound like it does in amplitube, as long as I can hear it with distortion and it's lag free)

Perhaps a proper splitter box of some sort?

Cheers,

Joe

with direct monitoring your always going to have some lag, but de3pending on the power of your computer you can get close to unnoticeable lag. turn down your buffer rate until the sound periodically cuts out, and then bring it back up. if you are using an ASIO driver you should get anywhere from 2-4 ms of lag, which is good. It makes your tone sound muddy a little bit as you are playing because of the slow response, but when you play back you will hear the real tone.

if you want to run a splitter to your ampa s well as your interface, get a DI with a through connection. the DI just takes a lead off the hot input and plugs it into another jack and the other terminals run off into the transformer, giving you an effective ground, thus, eliminating that noise you are having issues with.