Monitors for 200-350 usd?

Dexter_prog

New Metal Member
Apr 5, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So I finally have some money for my first pair of studio monitors. I am looking for 5" because I mix in my room (3 x 3 meters - 10 x 10 feet) and it is untreated (and it will be like this because it is my bedroom and because I just mix as a hobby - I MAY treat it in the future). What should I get for that money?

note: I live in Argentina, so prices are higher than in the USA.

I was considering:
- KRK rp5 g2
- Yamaha hs50m

but I have yet to start reading more on monitors, that is to say, I know shit about other options :)

All I've read is that getting something bigger than 5" (can't stop feeling gay when writing this stuff) will be counterproductive because of the small untreated room. I don't know how true this is, by the way.

I have Mackie MR5 monitors and i love them. They cost me about 350 USD for the pair. I would maybe invest in some ATHM50 headphones instead. The only flaw i hear about headphones is that they create false bass frequencys (i cant think of the right way to say it lol) although using monitors in an untreated room would yield the same results. I know Dandelium uses them (or used to) and his mixes are stellar. My room is fairly large and im treating it right after christmas. I used to mix in a room 6ftx6ft with a 10 foot ceiling lol. I know the pain of having a small room

I have Mackie MR5 monitors and i love them. They cost me about 350 USD for the pair. I would maybe invest in some ATHM50 headphones instead. The only flaw i hear about headphones is that they create false bass frequencys (i cant think of the right way to say it lol) although using monitors in an untreated room would yield the same results. I know Dandelium uses them (or used to) and his mixes are stellar. My room is fairly large and im treating it right after christmas. I used to mix in a room 6ftx6ft with a 10 foot ceiling lol. I know the pain of having a small room
Well I don't want to get headphones because I don't like listening to music and stuff with them, I am concerned about my ears and I find levels that most people don't concern loud quite loud to me. That's why I wanted monitors, even though I could get better headphones for that money.

Also, the hs50m have some room switches, maybe they can help on my room?:

yamaha-hs50m-rear-features.jpg

I think the celiling is also 3 meters / 10 feet. I am, indeed, living in The Cube:

cube01.jpg

i would go to your local music store (if you have one) and listen to all the different monitors. I went to guitar center in NYC and listened to all the ones in my range and i ended up with the MR5's

If you do have to work in a cube, seriously look into helmholtz resonators. There's simply no other way you're going to get a decent low freq. response without making it completely dead.

I went with the KRK RP5 Gen2s, but I also have some ATHM50s, both are good investments in my opinion. I'd say go to your local music store and reference a song or two that you know really well and see which ones you like.

i would go to your local music store (if you have one) and listen to all the different monitors. I went to guitar center in NYC and listened to all the ones in my range and i ended up with the MR5's
Yeah, I'm planning on doing that one of these days. I just wanted some references as to what to listen
If you do have to work in a cube, seriously look into helmholtz resonators. There's simply no other way you're going to get a decent low freq. response without making it completely dead.
Dude, what is that? I googled and all I found were something that looked like metal balls

I had Fostex PMIII 6,5" woofer for 300€ before switching to the ADAM´s, they sounded very good, good low end, highs not harsh....a good investment!
I don't think I can find those here. Actually, I don't think there is a Fostex importer here :/

I got my mr5's at GC 2 years ago for 240,brand new, no sale or discount or anything. Did they bump the price up or something?

All I can say is what I would personally do with $400.00 for monitors. It would probably come down to the Tannoy Reveal 501a's, or the Mackie MR5's. I like both quite a lot.

Ok, so to sum it up, these are my options:
- KRK rp5g2
- Yamaha hs50m
- Mackie Mr5
- KRK vxt4

Other options not mentioned here (references anyone?):
- Behringer 2131a

Anything else? I don't know if I will be able to listen to all of them in the stores here.