J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Monster Magnet – 4-Way Diablo
Steamhammer – SPV 98372 CD – November 6, 2007
By Wayward_Son

monster.jpg

So, what do Dave Wyndorf and Dave Mustaine have in common other than their first name? Anyone have a guess? The answer is quite simple. Both have the distinct honor to have released their best material in their doped up days of yore. Does a sad soul exist that would choose Risk over Peace Sells…But Who’s Buying? Likewise, is there someone who would choose this sterile collection of songs named 4-Way Diablo over a minor classic like Dopes to Infinity or Spine of God?

Granted, Faithful Reader, it’s not as if the last couple of Monster Magnet albums were among their best, but God Says No and Monolithic Baby had some redeeming riffs and worthwhile moments. Then in 2006, apparently Wyndorf suffered a drug overdose due to ingesting too many sleeping pills. Out of that turmoil and those trying times of getting clean comes the spawn of trial and tribulation in 4-Way Diablo, Monster Magnet’s worst album to date.

Let it be known that it is this writer’s opinion that Spine of God, Dopes to Infinity, Superjudge, and yes, even Powertrip[i/] are all necessary releases within the psychedelic heavy rock movement. However, being disappointed with the two previous albums, it was with skepticism that 4-Way Diablo was approached. Perhaps it is just not the season, or these musical tastes are elsewhere right now, but the lifelessness coming from these songs is almost an insult to where they came from.

When Monster Magnet is played, fans want sleazy drug rock. We want “It’s a Satanic drug thing, you wouldn’t understand.” We want "Cashing Satan’s checks with my dick in my hand.” 4-Way Diablo offers very little of that attitude that Wyndorf and Co. had in spades. Instead we are greeted with almost standard rock that my dad might enjoy. In other words, it sounds as if Monster Magnet got old. While that may seem shallow, and it probably is, but it has been a decade since they released anything of relevance.

No doubt diehard fans will buy this. Luckily, they may enjoy a few songs such as 'Solid Gold', which, while mellow, gets the space rock thing going a bit. Even The Rolling Stones cover of '2000 Lightyears From Home' is not too bad. And before the album ends (mercifully) we get 'Slap in the Face'. Wyndorf is actually convincing here, instead of sounding like he phoned in his performance. 4-Way Diablo is not a total loss, but this band is capable of so much more. Listening to it is like receiving a kick in the groin from a fine Betty, when expecting a blowjob.

Dave, take your own advice and “spark it up” before creating any more music.

Official Monster Magnet Website
Official Steamhammer Records Website