J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
Spinefarm Records - US004 - January 15, 2007
By Wayward_Son

moonsorrow.jpg

As was expected, the new Moonsorrow album, V: Hävitetty, has received almost universal praise from internet reviewers and metal magazines. Faithful Reader, did you expect differently? These Finns have been the poster boys for Viking/Heathen metal’s throne since 2003’s massive Kivenkantaja. While that title may not be entirely deserved, it cannot be ignored that the band has gone from strength to semi-strength since 1999.

This writer discovered the band just after the release of the overlooked and underrated Voimasta Ja Kunniasta in 2001. To this day it is the one album that is played most of their entire catalogue. Kivenkantaja continued in the same manner, yet something was missing. The band seemed to be striving for something that was beyond them. Verisäkeet alienated this writer even more, to a point where V: Hävitetty was hardly even on the radar.

Now that it has been playing nonstop since receiving it, this writer can safely say that V: Hävitetty is really nothing special. Sure, the trademark Moonsorrow sound is still firmly intact. The songs roar of the epic, the vocals fit perfectly, and those ever-important keys and traditional instruments play their part nicely. Verisäkeet hinted at what was to come on V: Hävitetty, and that is the band melding their talents to create two extremely grandiose opuses. It is hardly the length of the songs that is discouraging, but that these two epics found within are quite simply not interesting to listen to. Moonsorrow could have easily cut the album length by twenty minutes and still had plenty of time to get their message across.

’Jäästä Syntynyt/Varjojen Virta’ is the better track found on V: Hävitetty. Unfortunately, it takes over six minutes to truly get moving. Yes, this writer understands that songs of this nature and length naturally need to build momentum, but in this case the softer introduction added nothing at all. It does get better, especially towards the end of the song, concluding with that fine Moonsorrow bombast and a flare of the victorious.

It is ’Tuleen Ajettu Maa’ that could have been left off the album entirely. After countless intense listens, nothing in this song has left an impression, only to create a burning desire to listen to the band’s earlier efforts. The more folk oriented interludes are a pleasant break from the monotony, however they are drowned in leftover riffs and pounding war-like drums.

This writer wanted to like V: Hävitetty, truly. It simply failed to emotionally engage in every respect. Fear not Faithful Reader, Moonsorrow will no doubt gain countless fans with the album, as it seems this writer’s opinion in is the minority. As for the future, let us hope Moonsorrow leaves the epic-for-epic’s-sake songwriting to those who can truly pull it off, so that they may return to the greener pastures (or blood-soaked battlefields) of more concise Heathen Metal.

Official Moonsorrow Website
Official Spinefarm Records Website

This is a stellar album, I think, but it obviously had a greater impact on me than you Wayward. I've only been on board since Verisakeet, though, which may explain my affinity. Prefer Verisakeet, too, just because it's not as daunting or time-demanding as Havitetty.

This album is seriously amazing. Totally blew away my expectations, and they were high. HIGHLY recommended!!!

And don't bother reading this review. Tuleen Ajettu Maa could be left off? Too bad the ending alone is probably the greatest thing theyve ever recorded. I admit the first half is pretty EH, but the second half is pure quality. not to mention to first 6 minutes of the first song. You must be deaf.

This album is seriously amazing. Totally blew away my expectations, and they were high. HIGHLY recommended!!!

And don't bother reading this review. Tuleen Ajettu Maa could be left off? Too bad the ending alone is probably the greatest thing theyve ever recorded. I admit the first half is pretty EH, but the second half is pure quality. not to mention to first 6 minutes of the first song. You must be deaf.

The ears work fine, but thank you for your concern. Also, thank you for this comment:

And don't bother reading this review.

Even if some dullard decides to skip straight to the responses, your comment will guarantee that the review will be read. Cheers.

But it makes one wonder. Do you honestly believe that the only reviews worth reading are ones you agree with?

Thank you, again. :)

It appears that your opinions in the review aren't very popular. I hate to be a follower, but I think they're right. This album kicks some major ass :headbang:

It appears that your opinions in the review aren't very popular. I hate to be a follower, but I think they're right. This album kicks some major ass :headbang:

Good for you. :)

The opinion of the review was not expected to be a popular one. Fortunately, popularity among UM.com and metal labels is not the goal. It is simply to hopefully guide Faithful Readers to quality music regardless of a band's strong back catalogue or how much a label promotes a band.

Cheers. Hope you enjoy the album.

Good for you. :)

The opinion of the review was not expected to be a popular one. Fortunately, popularity among UM.com and metal labels is not the goal. It is simply to hopefully guide Faithful Readers to quality music regardless of a band's strong back catalogue or how much a label promotes a band.

Cheers. Hope you enjoy the album.

Good honest review. Carry on my Wayward sooon... writing reviews.