In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Moonspell - Memorial
SPV - April 21, 2006
by Amanda J. Carlson
1053357003.jpg

Goth metal is a long way from my usual musical tastes, but ever since getting introduced to them with 2001’s Darkness and Hope, they’ve been one of my overall favorites. Fernando Ribeiro is one of the better growlers among that vocal style, and you can’t go wrong with the slaughtering heaviness they’ve put forth recently. Memorial is very eerie, yet bombastic at times with the incorporation of orchestral elements, as well as a mix between dark acoustic sections and blasting metal. Ribeiro doesn’t integrate his ominous clean vocals as often as he used to; only a slight disappointment to me.

My favorite track is "Blood Tells!" which is insanely heavy and angry. The keyboards really boost the mood here, and many of the songs for that matter. "Upon the Blood of Men" has a great beginning riff that may not be anything complex, but it punches the listener in the gut nonetheless. They slow down in "Sanguine," reminiscent of their older work, but they inject a few massive choruses for a crazy ride. "Proliferation" must be mentioned, as it is the cool classical instrumental that mixes an evil orchestra with heavy guitars.

Again, I miss the equal mix of both of Ribeiro’s vocal styles, but the overall power of this album carries it high. It ties The Antidote as my favorite Moonspell album. Therefore, Memorial no doubt will be a strong contender in my list of great albums in 2006.

8.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Moonspell Official Website
SPV Official Website