MoPAD's are they worth the bucks?

The foambymail stuff is ok, but much lighter than auralex. Apparently they don't even hold up to their specs. So they are fine if you are on a really small budget or really don't want a lot of absorption. Maybe fine for gobos or for more lively space. On a budget though you are way better off going with DIY 703 or Rockwool treatment.

But I digress... I did notice a big difference when I got the MoPAD's. But my monitors sit on 4 space racks. I could actually hear the rack resonating which the MoPAD's stopped. Some have claimed you loose some bass, which might be true, but it will be more accurate bass. Ideally you want your monitors on stands, but it doesn't always quite work out ergonomically.

If you actually call sweetwater or full compass or some place like that, you can actually get the MoPAD's cheaper. I don't think it would be worth the time to A/B them or something. That would cost more than the extra $30 for the MoPads.

I've got these bad boys:

rx7-df.jpg

And while I haven't compared them to MoPad's, I know they're heavy as hell (probably 5-7 pounds each I'd wager) and ridiculously stable, so I'm happy I invested in 'em! (just the stands, mind you, not the NS10's :p). That's thick foam, 1/4" thick piece of laser-cut steel, and neoprene, btw

Eathan Winer hates foam by mail and takes every opportunity to point out that their so called "specs" as far as acoustics go it horse shit.

i got the Mopads, the primacustic pads are just out of my price range...was thinking about jerry rigging something up with some steel plate and some neoprene Waders that dont fit anymore but im to lazy.

Your best commercial bet for this kind of product are the Primacoil Acoustic Stabilizers. However, if you don't want to pay too much for virtually the same thing you can basically just put your monitors on cinder blocks that have a neoprene matt on them, or even blu-tack on the corners! None of it will beat decent stand mounting. And no decent stand mounting will beat decent soffit mounting.