Morifade - Domination

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Morifade – Domination
Candlelight Records - 2004
By Adam McAuley

morifade.gif

Yet another power metal band in the vein of Helloween steps to the plate, but what do they have to offer to set themselves apart? Well, some solid power metal of course, and fans of the genre will certainly find plenty to like in Domination. The melodies offered herein are driving and catchy, but don't ever really fall into the generic trappings of some of the other bands in the genre. Synths, pianos and other elements are nicely incorporated into Morifade's sound, and though this might not seem like a big deal, think of how many power metal bands would benefit from such simple elements. Rhapsody does things with orchestras to separate themselves from the pack, and this band uses similar methods to achieve individuality within the genre. The outfit actually has a unique industrialized sound.

In the latter stages of the album the harpsichord makes a couple of splendid appearances, and you begin to start wondering why other power metal bands don't make use of similar extra-curricular elements. The vocal harmonies are nice and melodic guitars create a positive sound environment. Nothing is particularly mind-blowing on display, but considering how I'm usually left with a sour taste in my mouth by similar bands, the fact that I enjoyed the proceedings a decent amount is lavish enough praise for Morifade. Add one point if you're a fan of power metal.

7/10

Candlelight Records’ Official Website
Morifade’s Official Website

Very nice progressive power metal album. My copy had 14 tunes, all of which were heavy at some point, so you get value for the money if you're into this style of music. The vocalist is excellent as well.

The only thing that ticked me off is on my publicity sheet, when they say "1984" was written by H.G. Wells! :loco: