Mortiis - The Smell Of Rain

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Mortiis - The Smell Of Rain
Earache MOSH248CD 2001
By Russell Garwood

Mortiis… a former Emperor member, and a widely misunderstood artist, released his latest album “The Smell Of Rain” on October 22nd through Earache records. Upon seeing Mortiis’ persona most people laugh, and jump to the conclusion Mortiis writes metal, an incorrect assumption I was guilty of.

“The Smell Of Rain” sees Mortiis moving away, however, from the Dark Ambient of old, into an eclectic mix of more EBM, Goth, Industrial and Darkwave influences such as Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails, Enigma and Sisters Of Mercy.

Opened by “Parasite God”, as song about alienation, the dark atmosphere is maintained throughout, with lyrics like “I search for life and sights to see, somewhere beyond this cold machinery (so take me out of this insanity)” from Marshland and “I want you to descend, I want you to fall down, I want to be the end – of everything you have ever done” from flux/mental maelstrom also demonstrating the fact this is one of Mortiis’ most personal albums to date. Parasite God is followed by the angrier “Mental Maelstrom”, and the claustrophobic (though slightly repetitive) “Spirit In A Vacuum” and the dark beauty of “Monolith”. “You Put A Hex on Me” provides some slightly easier listening, followed by the reflective masterpiece that is “Everyone Leaves”.

Mortiis says “I’m not going to say I’m fucking pleased because there is always room for improvement”, and I am forced to agree. At times the lyrics can be slightly repetitive, and the music can seem at times very samey and unoriginal (there is even a chant of “fist fuck baby” on Antimental) and the vocals, while distinctive often lack melody, going for the standard EBM “talk” in the background. However this album provides such a progression and shows such confidence, I can hardly complain, only look forward to the next album to see what further changes are going to take place.

While there is room for improvement this is a good album, and I can recommend it to anyone who listens music regardless of genre, Mortiis has shown with this album he is an extremely talented song writer. I think the loveable Troll sums it up well with “People are saying ‘Wow good album’ rather than just ‘good make-up artist’”

Mortiis is a character that questions society and the world we live in and how perceptions should be cast aside to enable art to be expressed freely - taken from Earache bio

I hope Mortiis continues creating music, I will definately be there awaiting with open ears. I love the line in Antimental - 'I make me feel ill at ease'.

This is a bad, bad album. I liked his early, medieval-inspired ambient work, but i saw him live touring this album, and it sounded like european disco-pop.

Someone needs to shit down this man's throat.