motW thread regarding new songs.

FuSoYa

Lunarian
Nov 9, 2001
Brooklyn
lifesci.ucsb.edu
I would make this a poll but it's a yes/no with reasons question.

I'm not saying this will happen, but I was just wondering what you dudes who are anticipating the new record think about rough mixes. I'm way psyched on the material and am anxious for people to hear it, so I've been itching to post a rough mix (incomplete instrumentation too) of a song to get people more excited. But I don't know if it's a good idea just because there are only 5 tracks on the album.

I imagine that if no one hears anything until it's completely finished, the payoff will be much better than if they heard it halfway and then the rest of the way later. So as people who are waiting to hear the stuff, would you rather hear the stuff halway and then the rest of the way later, or get a better payoff when it's completely finished this summer?

yeah, that's a good point alex.
we had several stages of rough mixes along the way on the last ND record, and we all kind of agreed not to leak it out, except for people playing on the record. of course, i played it for friends to get their input and stuff, but didn't burn it to mp3 and pass it around.

one option: can you put a streaming-only version of it on your mp3.com site as opposed to an actual mp3 file? then people can hear it, but they shouldn't be able to pass it around as an mp3. or is there a way to record streaming audio and make your own file? (if there is, let me know- there are radio shows i'd like to make files from- like that khanate live performance)

I was just talking about that on another board eric - usually I just use soundforge to record the stream if I can't d/l the file. when you encode RealAudio you can set it so it's not downloadable or config your server to prevent people from doing it, too.

eric, there is, but it's beyond most people (even though it's easy, it's effort), so streaming it would at least cut down on the tradearound.

i actually used that method to record "German Dental Work" (the Earth cover Khanate did live on the wfmu broadcast). if you want the mp3, catch me on IM when I'm at home and I'll trans it to you.

I'd be psyched to hear that version, actually!

I do really want to know what people who like our band a lot think though, guys! Like, where are those people that post with actual motw questions sometimes?

hmm, it's a tough choice. when i know i already want the cd, i like to wait until i buy it to hear anything from it. it does make it more interesting when u dont have a clue what to expect. then again, i can't wait to hear some of the new stuff. then again, again, if it's only a rough mix and the version on the cd will be a lot different, that would be cool in itself to hear. i've always wanted to hear band's demo versions.

Personally I'd not listen to the rough mix, or any advance songs.. (well, I'd try)

It tends to annoy me when I listen to advance songs until I know them very well - then by the time the album is released I will always know one song/like one song more or be more bored of one song than the others..

:dopey:

What's a Maudlin?

Do not post streaming on mp3.com. The way they do it is waaay too easy to "crack". Takes all of 10 seconds to get the URL for the actual file.

I like Sam's idea about posting the live version. That way we can have a general idea of what to expect, but the album version will still be a nice surprise.