Mountain Bikes ?

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
I want to look into purchasing a starter Mountain Bike, mainly for exercising and some trails around here (but not for a little while). The main reason really is to try to get back into shape, as some of my close friends around here have noticed that I gained a few extra pounds... LOL I honestly have no idea where to even start looking, as I haven't done that since I was 15 or so. Can anybody suggest what to look for, prices, models, etc.? I don't plan on making this a serious hobby, so don't want to go crazy with the price. I noticed even Wal Mart has some nice-looking ones these days, but don't want to buy something completely in the dark, which could end up caught under a tractor trailer... with me on it. :lol:

So...any ideas?

I would personally go find a decent bike shop in your town and ask there. Yeah, most good bike shops will more than likely be a more expensive than just getting something at Walmart, but you may end up actually getting something really nice for the money. Fortunately, we have a couple here in this area. As a result, I scored myself this Trek 6000 bike:

Granted, this may be a bit higher end than even you are looking at (this is a $1,200 bike), but Trek does make some really nice bikes and you can find models that are less expensive than this one (and of course, you can also get models much more expensive as well, such as Trek Fuel 8 that I was originally looking at that goes for something like $2,500 - the bike shop owner actually talked me out of that one saying that I really did not need something that fancy).

new-bike.jpg

even if you don't purchase your bike from them, DEFINITELY go to a biking shop and talk to them.
if you don't know of any good shops in your area, but want some ideas, the bike folks at REI and Dick's Sporting Goods are generally really helpful.

my friend and her boyfriend purchased bikes from REI as their "starter" bikes - based on information from their local bike shop experts
however, when they were ready to move up into the more expensive bikes, they actually bought from the bike shop - because 1. the quality was superior, 2. the selection was amazing (they do special-orders) and 3. the dudes at the shop had been so helpful and supportive over the previous couple years that they earned those sales :)

good luck to you !

Know what you want to do and the type of trails. If you are interested in mountain biking on single track trails with roots, and rocks, etc, is different than state park types of trails and primarily road.

REI has some pretty good bikes.

Don't go to Walmart for a bike unless that's all you can afford. There is no guarantee they are made well, and you'll need to go to a bike shop to check it and set it up (to ensure the brakes work well, wheels are true, etc).

For about $500 you can get a bike capable of some light single track, with front shocks. Don't get duo-shock unless you are spending well over $1000 else the shocks and other parts will be bad. As long as its a name brand, such as Gary Fisher, Trek, or Cannondale, you'll be fine. There are differences, and one could argue forever about quality differences, but no matter what you'll have a fine bike. Less than $500 and you are basically looking at a bike that can go around town on, and trails with virtually no 'technical' features.

You really can't go wrong with a Trek, just sayin'.

I wouldn't expect to find a good, new bike under $500 but you probably won't have to pay a whole lot more than that either.

I have a K2 as my starter bike. Snagged it from REI with my discount and it was on sale (if you have one near you, definitely stop in, they have scratch n dent sales, too with really good discounts). You can also ask them who they donate their used bike frames to, as those places usually refurb the bikes and sell them really cheaply for starter bikes or commuter bikes.

Definitely go to a LBS (Local Bike Shop). Don't go to a chain. You will get much better service from people who live and breathe bikes, not some minimum wage kid.

Are you sure you really want a mountain bike? Are there actual mountains nearby, or even hills? When I decided to get a bike because I couldn't run anymore, I was sure I wanted a mountain bike. After looking at bikes and thinking about it, I started leaning to a hybrid instead. I ended up getting a road bike and couldn't be happier about it.

Go to a LBS and talk to them. They can help you. Take some for test rides.

Definitely go to a LBS (Local Bike Shop). Don't go to a chain. You will get much better service from people who live and breathe bikes, not some minimum wage kid.

Are you sure you really want a mountain bike? Are there actual mountains nearby, or even hills? When I decided to get a bike because I couldn't run anymore, I was sure I wanted a mountain bike. After looking at bikes and thinking about it, I started leaning to a hybrid instead. I ended up getting a road bike and couldn't be happier about it.

Go to a LBS and talk to them. They can help you. Take some for test rides.

I agree with a lot of this advice actually. I've always gone the LBS route and while there's quite a bit of snobbishness from most of them, you'll still get better service.

The first bike I bought a few years ago ended up being a hybrid (2007 Trek SU 2.0) and this may be something to consider if you're going to be on the road more than trails.

Last year, I ended up doing an upgrade and getting a Surly Cross-Check.

Most everyone I know up here in the Northeast married with a full-time job ends up rarely using their mountain bike. You'll probably get a lot more use out of a road bike or a hybrid.