Mountain / Leslie West

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Any fans of Leslie West and Mountain here?

Aside from Mississippi Queen, I'd never heard any of their output. Last week, I noticed a remastered version of "Climbing" (with aforementioned track) on sale for $6.99 so I gave it a go. And I'm impressed! Very heavy/fuzzy guitar tone, some awesome vocals, etc.

Any fans here?

Absolutely! 'Climbing', along with 'Nantucket Sleighride', are required listening, as far as I'm concerned. So, If you like what you hear, and it seems you do, I would move to 'Nantucket Sleighride' next and give it a whirl. I actually tend to prefer 'Nantucket Sleighride' over 'Climbing' just a tad.

After those, I would recommend trying 'Flowers Of Evil", which has five new songs and two live tracks - one of the live tracks is a 25 minute medley. Also, the album 'Mountain', which was released under Leslie West's name, but is considered Mountain's debut album.

IMO, Leslie West often gets overlooked when people talk of guitar greats.

TheWhisper said:
Absolutely! 'Climbing', along with 'Nantucket Sleighride', are required listening, as far as I'm concerned. So, If you like what you hear, and it seems you do, I would move to 'Nantucket Sleighride' next and give it a whirl. I actually tend to prefer 'Nantucket Sleighride' over 'Climbing' just a tad.

After those, I would recommend trying 'Flowers Of Evil", which has five new songs and two live tracks - one of the live tracks is a 25 minute medley. Also, the album 'Mountain', which was released under Leslie West's name, but is considered Mountain's debut album.

IMO, Leslie West often gets overlooked when people talk of guitar greats.

Cool.
Thanks for the recommendations. I shall definitely dig deeper into their catalog!
I love any of the early 70s proto-metal and/or blues rock. Those bands just exhibited that x factor that's so sorely lacking these days.