MTV2 censors Mastodon's Iron Tusk video

MasterOLightning

Optimator
Jun 3, 2003
Chicago
www.myspace.com
Taken from http://www.supercolliderfilms.com/index.html .

iron tusk banned by mtv2
The powers-that-be at MTV2 have found it necessary to shield their viewers from the controversial material showcased in the Mastodon Iron Tusk video.

'Iron Tusk' features beautifully orchestrated performances by the Atlanta-based Psychotic Suspensions. The video aired on MTV2 as a 'PG' edit, without any of the superb footage of the Psychotic trio. The censored clips feature performers Kay Um, Jeff Curd and Jason Wellham being suspended by hooks pierced through their skin. We have posted some photos to give you a peek at the UNCENSORED version of the 'Iron Tusk' video.

The full uncensored video can be seen at the above address.

Does anyone actually think that that footage is especially offensive or disturbing? Out of all of the garbage on MTV, they ban that. To make matters worse, MTV makes no mention of the existence of the video on their Headbanger's Ball page. There is no news clip from MTV. It's pretty sad the way this is. At least it may end up giving Mastodon some deserved publicity. I still find it troubling that the hip-hop videos don't seem to have as much trouble getting explicit materials on the air.

Any thoughts on the nature of those scenes, or the implications of such actions by MTV?

It wouldn't really offend anyone unless they were seriously squeamish but it was predictable that MTV wouldn't like it, I don't watch the channel so I couldn't really care less. It's a pretty lame video, decent live footage would be much better.

Caelum Adustum said:
"Glen Benton has a lovely urethra."

Haha. we'll just skip all the tangents that would get us talking about Deicide and go straight to talking about his urethra.

I bet GoD is searching the forum right now for "urethra" to find threads to lock.

Its dumb, but I can understand it. Men suspended by hooks pierced through there flesh isn't exactly what I'd want my kids to see (if I had any that is).

^ it isnt even THAT obvious. they're just swinging around for like 5 seconds. it's an artform (i guess), i see shows about that kinda stuff on the Discovery Channel all the time.

Funeral Portrait said:
^ it isnt even THAT obvious. they're just swinging around for like 5 seconds. it's an artform (i guess), i see shows about that kinda stuff on the Discovery Channel all the time.

Thats very true, but the censors never need much to slap a ban on something. Oh well, fuck mtv in the ass with a large blunt instrument, its the only way forward!

Cryptkeeper said:
Really, this just show how dumb MTV is. The banned The Berzerker's video because of it's "bright flashes of light" that could harm people with epolipsy!
They're biased against metal, much like everyone else.